• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Server-side mail filtering

breun

Golden Pleskian
We've generally been pretty happy with Plesk (using it since 7.something, now on 9.5.2), but one thing that we've been missing all these years is server-side mail filtering integrated into Plesk. I know you can set up filters in Horde, but most of our users don't use webmail but use their own IMAP client to read their e-mail.

They keep asking for server-side mail filtering, because they read their e-mail on multiple devices (desktop at home, mobile devices, etc.) and don't want to set up their filters locally on every device. Plesk could really use this feature.

Could you please specify what do you mean in "server-side mail filtering"? What exact filtering you need?
Thank you.

Last edited:
For instance automatically moving messages to specific folders based on the To: or From: headers. That's what I use most myself, but most mail clients support much more types of conditions.

This is a regular implementation, I guess:

1. You can create rules with conditions and configure whether one or more conditions need to be true, or if all conditions need to be true.

2. Conditions can for instance be:
- From:/To:/Cc:/Subject:/Addressee/Message/Attachment filename contains/does not contain/starts with/ends with/equals <text>
- Priority is low/medium/high
- Every message

3. Actions:
- Move/copy message to <mailbox>
- Autoreply with <message>
- Forward message to <address>
- Send as original message to <address>
- Delete message
- Mark as read
- Flag message

I think that procmail could be used for this under the hood: http://www.procmail.org/ I think it would be great if Plesk would integrate procmail and generate procmail files from filtering rules that you can configure via Plesk.

Ok. Thank you. I have submitted corresponding feature request to developers.

As far as I understand this actions already exists in per-mailname controls. I do not understand that differences between procmail and current mail handlers solution?

Could you explain what these per-mailname controls are and where I can find them? I searched the Administrator's Guide and Plesk's web interface, but I could not find anything about this.

Bump

I never received a reply to my last question. I'd really like to know about what these 'per-mailname controls' are, how I can use them and if they can do what I'm looking for.

I believe that hes referring to the options that become available once the spamassassin license is added to your plesk license.

In that case my request for server-side mail filtering still stands. I think Plesk should offer some way to configure Sieve or procmail rules. Just some basic options to be able to move incoming e-mail to certain folders based on From:/Subject:/To: headers would already be very nice.

Lots of customers are asking for this, since many people are no longer reading their e-mail using a single client (desktop at work, at home, mobile phone, tablet, etc.) and don't or can't maintain mail filtering rules on every separate mail client. They want to configure this on the server and I think that is a very reasonable request. Sadly we can't help them at the moment using Plesk.

Hello,
Nice that this feature has been created!

Could you explain where/how we can configure server-side filter rules?

Thanks!

Please use the following llink :- http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...sg=AFQjCNH_GqCF-4jYdfPGHjj9c-WayHxmqA&cad=rja
vbulletin-smile.gif

Thanks for the replies!
The document only talks about spam filtering.
I just want to filter emails in different folders depending its content, not just spam.
Thanks,
Jordi.

You can use the rules supported in specific webmail/desktop/mobile clients, but sadly there is no server-side support for mail filtering at the moment, so if you're using multiple clients, you'll have to configure the same rules in all of them.

+1 for this. This is very handy.
I just migrated from cpanel and i was dissapointed to see the server side email filter are not supported.

One of the most useful features on emails that get tons of emails is to categorize it into folders based on sender.
And despite this is done with an imap client, it does not solve the problem when accessing the same account from multiple devices.
So server side filtering solves exactly this problem

ilias

Dealing with a large amount of spam and bad mail server reputation, I would also like a similar function.
I am not sure what are exact features needed above, but as a feedback, in my case I would need to:

create rules directly on server, "if header/subject/body contains/doesnt-contain" do: "delete/forward/etc"

The rules should be able to fully ignore some messages and prevent even bounces caused by that message.

Back