• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Server Spam Sensitivity vs. Individual Account Sensitivity

David Jimenez

Basic Pleskian
We have SpamAssassin turned on and use an aggressive server-wide setting of 4. We also use the setting to just mark the caught items with ***SPAM*** in the subject line. One of our accounts is getting hammered with spam that the server isn't even marking as spam. So, we have lowered his individual setting to 3 and then down to 2 and changed his settings so that all spam is placed into his webmail junk folder and still we see a lot of spam that goes straight to his email client inbox.

My question is, do the individual settings override the server-wide settings? I am wondering this since we tighten his settings and really don't see much change in the volume of spam getting to his inbox.

Secondly, we are considering using the greylist server-wide setting but don't have any experience if it works well or creates other issues.

The individual settings are the ones that are used. A value of 3 is a good balance.

Have you set blacklists to block spam from known sources of spam?
GUI > Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings >Check "Switch on spam protection based on DNS blackhole lists" and enter "sbl.spamhaus.org;xbl.spamhaus.org" into DNS zones for DNSBL service

Thanks. I was not aware of that feature as it wasn't in the spam settings area. I have now followed your instructions and will monitor the results. I would still like to know if the individual sensitivities override the server-wide setting.

Back