• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Server Wide Mail Settings Error

MrGRIMX

New Pleskian
Hey Guys,

After my previous post i have noticed another issue when accessing Server-Wide Mail Settings i have a notice which tells me

"You cannot send emails from Plesk because outbound connections on TCP port 25 is blocked. Check the firewall settings or contact your hosting provider. If you are sure that the ports are already open, Plesk can recheck them. Start the recheck"

Contacted my Cloud Hosting provider and it is not blocking port 25, run nmap to verify the ports were open 25, 587,993 and am sending and receiving emails. When i start the "recheck" it fails so i wanted to point this out as it may be a bug or something is going on with my current configuration but i doubt it.

The nmap test you did cannot verify that the port ist not blocked between your local system and the server. It can only show what is going on on your server. Instead, try to use Telnet from your PC to connect to port 25 and check whether that works.
> telnet <your host name> 25

Opps!! i mean if the ports were blocked on the server and yes i managed to telnet into port 25 and it works.

So you can telnet into the server on port 25 but the server cannot use port 25 to send out mails and brings the error message? Is this a correct description of the situation?

Well thats the thing All the services are working and i can send and recieve emails normally but yet when i visit the Mail settings on Plesk i get the notification stating that error. I am thinking its an internal bug.

I would have guessed something like
But you say that you can receive and send mails. So it is probably a left over message from a previous issue. Have you tried to simply store the mail server settings again (make a minor change somewhere, then save them again) so that Plesk tries to update the settings and comes to realize that port 25 is accessible? The port must be open if the server is sending mail.

Yeah i read that article and was thinking the same thing but i have Digital Ocean and to further test the issue the same problem comes up with creating 3 droplets and 3 rebuilds updating the system and readding and reconfiguring the server from scratch and still recieve that notification i didn't use any backups for all of these since i wanted to test different configurations and I receive the same results. I also contact Digital Ocean as a result of this as this is the first thing i did after i finish troubleshooting. Digital Ocean does not block ports and recommends to use a mail server from SendGrid or third party mail servers due to IP restrictions failing to send emails due to blacklisting and such. I am sending emails and recieving them i am using Plesk Email Security (Free) and am using the default configuration that comes with Plesk as i have not installed other third party apps on ubuntu itself and am not using any other firewall other than Plesk Firewall but that seems broken as reported previously on Ubuntu 20.04 on my previous thread.

Yeah ∼ ....... ∼ Plesk Firewall but that seems broken as reported previously on Ubuntu 20.04 on my previous thread.

@MrGRIMX It might be... not that it's broken / non-functional, but just the way you have arrived at using it? In the thread you've linked to, you have upgraded from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, but it's not clear in that thread, if that was a dist-upgrade or a fresh install & data migration. It's only very recenty, that you could actually run do-release-upgrade and not do-release-upgrade -d in order to go from 18.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS anyway, as that process was being de-bugged by Ubuntu themselves, although that's irrelevant if it was a fresh install & data migration. We use IONOS not Digital Ocean and currently, at the time of this post, IONOS cloud severs support 18.04 LTS & Plesk Obsidian OR 20.04 LTS but NOT 20.04 LTS & Plesk Obsidian, but this is scheduled to arrive very soon; Q4 2020. IONOS sometimes modify new Ubuntu OS to run perfectly on their own network, which is why there's usually a delay, when Plesk is part of the contract.

Depending on which method it was that you used, that might be part of the problem. Ubuntu 20.04 as a fresh install, has been fully supported by Plesk since Obsidian 18.0.29 but any Ubuntu dist-upgrade from 16.04 / 18.04 to 20.04 whilst already using Plesk Obsidian, is (at the time of this post) still not a Plesk suported path - yet. Have a good read of all of THIS Plesk Page including all of the comments. It's not a love story! However the final comment gives an indication that Obsidian 18.0.31 may have the missing answers / solution. Even more relevant, is to have a read of all of THIS Plesk Suggestion Page again, including all of the comments and including other people's experience when they run a dist-upgrade themselves behind Plesk. The relevant post by user Patrick Simms on 20/08/20 is a good one. It's fair to say that there appears to be quite a few initially, unseen challenges if/when running an unsupported Ubuntu dist-upgrade whilst already using Plesk. That page is not a love story either, but the possible solution (i.e. as part of Obsidian 18.0.31) might fix everything for all of us who wish to take the Ubuntu OS dist-upgrade whilst already using Plesk option, as opposed to having to use a new server / fresh install & data migration.

Edit: Just re-read your other thread and can see now that it looks like there was a fresh install & data migration. Apologies. However, our own previous experience using Plesk Migration etc was not great to be honest, with several 'fixes' being required before everything worked properly again. Another reason for us to welcome Obsidian 18.0.31 and Ubuntu dist-upgrade support - Maybe ;)

Last edited:
Awesome. Let me add a little more details that i may have missed. On my previous thread about the upgrade i ran a do-release-upgrade only after it was available from digital ocean when i logged into the server so i said why not since i read that Plesk supports Ubuntu 20.04 everything ran fine expect for the firewall notification i never really went after the notice of port 25 being blocked since i was focusing on the firewall so much that i never paid attention to it until now. When i saw the notification i finally saw those were the 2 issues when accessing the Firewall setttings in Plesk it redirected me back to the extensions page and gave me an error and now the Notice of Port 25 being blocked but not blocked if you get my meaning the mail service is working correctly but the only thing about it is the notification.

Awesome. Let me add a little more details that i may have missed. On my previous thread about the upgrade i ran a do-release-upgrade only after it was available from digital ocean when i logged into the server....
Thanks for the clarification there @MrGRIMX Yes, sometimes, it's just the wording used, that's all. My mis-reading, not yours. In the other thread it says "...So DO (Digital Ocean) has allowed me to upgrade my image from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and the migration and upgrade was successful..."

So initially, the "upgrade my image" got my attention and so I assumed it was an Ubuntu dist-upgrade, but later, after re-reading it, my attention was then switched to "...and the migration..." which sounded more like a fresh image install and then a migration process to follow (via Plesk or maybe DO) because, if we had run an Ubuntu dist-upgrade ourselves, there would normally be no migration involved. That's why I added the additional Edit footnote to my last post.

However, now, you've made it very clear with the above post, so maybe, just like us and many others... ;) You're goingt to wait for the reelase of Obsidian 18.0.31 and the Ubuntu dist-upgrade support guidelines, from Plesk , which should be here pretty soon - Hopefully!

Back