• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Setting up gmail to receive emails not working

Another_Omeka_User

Basic Pleskian
I give up. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Standard Plesk 12.5.30 CentOS 7 setup. I have tried for days now to setup Mail so I can get it in gmail (without just forwarding, adding the account). According to my setup on the server (which I control and have not changed from default settings) this should work:

SMTP: mydomain.de
port: 25
username + password
TLS connection

I get a gmail authentication error about the username and password, which I know are correct, no matter how many times I tried. Is the .de domain throwing things off? What else could be going on? I am not the most adept at figuring out which files to look for where on the server -- but I need to get this email working so it can be checked from within gmail (and not just forwarded). Please help!

Thanks...

Hi Another_Omeka_User,

did I understand you correctly here?

You want to use GMail and added the additional eMail - Account in Gmail, while GMail tells you, that there is an authentification issue?

Pls. consider to inspect your "mail.log" at "/var/log", if you would like to investigate issues/errors/problems with your own mail - server. If you need help here, consider to post the corresponding entries from your mail.log and consider as well to include the corresponding configuration files, so people willing to help you have something to start with their investigations.

If the issue is ONLY in GMail, pls. be aware, that this community is a "PLESK - related - community". GMail issues/errors/problems should be discussed in a GMail - community.

I have an email address I sent up for mydomain.de. All I want to do is be able to check the emails that come in from within my Gmail account. So I go to Gmail to "add account" and get that authentication error. I enter the settings above - the ones that the Plesk panel informs me should be the correct settings - and I get the error that the username/password are incorrect (they are not).

In short: I am not changing anything on the plesk server at all. I am trying to access the mail from Gmail and getting the authentication error regarding username/password. Before I go into my mail logs on the plesk server, I need to know if there is some crucial and obvious step that I'm "missing" here - was there something else I was supposed to do on the Plesk side in the panel, or are my settings in Gmail incorrect? I have literally not changed anything from the default settings. This is straight out of the box; I just added the email address with password to the domain, that's it.

If this sounds like it should work to you, I'll go investigate the mail logs and copy and paste things to you.

thanks!

EDIT: FWIW, I know the address works to send and receive mails because I've tested it. This is just about setting it up in Gmail.

Hi Another_Omeka_User,

I am trying to access the mail from Gmail and getting the authentication error regarding username/password.
As I already mentioned, this is a PLESK - related - community. Don't you think as well, that you should ask/discuss your issue in a "GMail - related - community?

Before I go into my mail logs on the plesk server,
If you don't provide informations from your logs, we are not able to guess, if your issue might be related to Plesk and its components. I know it's easier to "describe" an issue/error/problem, but without FACTS, people willing to help you can only guess, which might not help at all.

From your current description, I could only tell: Not related to Plesk... pls. use the GMail - support / - community.

Alright, this is what the logs say, a bunch of errors that look like this:

Mar 13 10:36:06 h2499217 postfix/smtpd[29740]: connect from mail-ot0-f182.google.com[74.125.82.182]
Mar 13 10:36:07 h2499217 plesk_saslauthd[29749]: listen=6, status=5, dbpath='/var/spool/postfix/plesk/passwd.db', keypath='/var/spool/postfix/plesk/passwd_db_key', chroot=0, unprivileged=1
Mar 13 10:36:07 h2499217 plesk_saslauthd[29749]: privileges set to (89:89) (effective 89:89)
Mar 13 10:36:07 h2499217 plesk_saslauthd[29749]: Invalid mail address 'contact@'
Mar 13 10:36:07 h2499217 postfix/smtpd[29740]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
Mar 13 10:36:07 h2499217 postfix/smtpd[29740]: warning: mail-ot0-f182.google.com[74.125.82.182]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
Mar 13 10:36:07 h2499217 postfix/smtpd[29740]: lost connection after AUTH from mail-ot0-f182.google.com[74.125.82.182]
Mar 13 10:36:07 h2499217 postfix/smtpd[29740]: disconnect from mail-ot0-f182.google.com[74.125.82.182]

I'm trying to set this up for an email address called [email protected]. In Gmail I enter the username as "contact" and then the password as I set it up in the Plesk panel.

Hi Another_Omeka_User,

I'm trying to set this up for an email address called [email protected]. In Gmail I enter the username as "contact" and then the password as I set it up in the Plesk panel.
Pls. be reminded, that you should ALWAYS use the FULL eMail - adress for authentification - just keep in mind, that each domain on your server could have ( common ) eMail - account - names, as for example "contact", "info", ..., which would make it impossible to authenticate only with the eMail - name. ;)

Hi Another_Omeka_User,

pls. try to understand the following situation:

domainA.de
domainB.de
domainC.de

... could be existent on your server. ALL domains have the eMail - address "contact" configured. How should your mail - server know, which of the three eMail - accounts it has to use to log in, if you don't specify the FQDN ?

I should set the username to "[email protected]"
Correct.

Another hint:

You have the option to display the correct login - details - usage for EACH eMail - account on your server, by clicking on the INFO - button, at the very right of the domain - specific eMail - account - setting - page:

=> HOME > Domains > YOUR-DOMAIN.COM > Mail

Example - image: Plesk-Onyx_Mail_Infos_001.png

Back