• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Shared IP not working

Squid44th

New Pleskian
I have set up a CentoS 6 & Plesk 12.0.18 server as master and a reseller. I enabled the shared IP under IP address in the tools section.

I then added a customer and domain. then I added reseller with domain and 2 customers with domain under that. I changed the nameservers at registrar to the IP of the new server. When I use the control panel and under each domain I use the PREVIEW and each domain shows the index.html file I uploaded. When I choose OPEN it opens a new window to the domains address and I get webpage not found. And yes it has been almost 36 hours since the registrar change in case you are wondering.

Is there a setting I am missing or is the server set up wrong? Why wont it show the webpages as it does in the previews?
UchsTn6.png

Last edited:
Hmm, it seems the DNS server is forked. I attempted to restart it and got this message. is there a way to fix this?
8U6iPSf.png

Try to run named in CLI with

# /etc/init.d/named start

and show me output of this command.

It says....
[root@vpsx]#/etc/init.d/named start
Starting named:
Error in named configuration:
/etc/named.conf:63 zone 'myxxx.com': already exists in previous definition: /etc/named.conf:50 *(customer)
/etc/named.conf:85 zone 'gsxxx.com': already exists in previous definition: /etc/named.conf:72 *(customer of reseller)
/etc/named.conf:107 zone 'swxxx.com': already exists in previous definition: /etc/named.conf:94 *(customer of reseller)
/etc/named.conf:129 zone 'lfxxx.com': already exists in previous definition: /etc/named.conf:116 *(reseller domain)
/etc/named.conf:46 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:43
/etc/named.conf:59 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:43
/etc/named.conf:81 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:43
/etc/named.conf:103 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:43
/etc/named.conf:125 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:43
/etc/named.conf:59 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:46
/etc/named.conf:81 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:46
/etc/named.conf:103 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:46
/etc/named.conf:125 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:46
/etc/named.conf:81 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:59
/etc/named.conf:103 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:59
/etc/named.conf:125 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:59
/etc/named.conf:103 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:81
/etc/named.conf:125 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:81
/etc/named.conf:125 attempt to redefine acl 'common-allow-transfer' previous definition: /etc/named.conf:103
[FAILED]
[root@vpsx]#

Last edited:
Hi Squid44th,

as you can see, you try to add domains, which have already been added to your nameserver configuration. The output even tells you, on WHICH LINES of "/etc/named.conf" you started to make some mistakes and where the previous definitions start. Please correct that ( remove ALL second entries ) and try to start bind again.

I went to edit the named.conf file and it says this in 2 places

// -- ALL LINES BELOW WERE GENERATED BY PLESK. IF YOU MODIFY THEM, THEY WILL BE OVERWRITTEN WHEN THESE SETTINGS ARE MANAGED IN PLESK UI. --

So if I modify them and then tomorrow I add a new domain, all the mods i did go away?

Well, I think you "played" around a bit with the bind configuration and therefore the bind settings over the Plesk Control Panel didn't get stored correctly or some earlier misconfiguration was the issue that Plesk didn't parse the right configuration as it should and another try to save from Plesk was leading to an additional misconfiguration... if you solved your issues and now bind is working as expected, then adding new domains certainly will be added by Plesk to your current conf and all is fine. "Normally" you don't have to modify the conf manually, as you did to solve the issues. :)

I gave up and reloaded the "Plesk 12 on Ubuntu" option onto the server and it all seems to be working as it should. What I did differently this time is that when I logged into plesk for the first time and changed the IP's to shared, then restarted the server at that point. After that I added the customer after logging back in and so far so good. I need to add the reseller/customer info to really be sure.

Back