• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Should I update the packages via the operating system?

Kroptokin

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.9 (Midnight Oncilla)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.57 Update #5, last updated on Dec 23, 2023 02:30 AM
Hi
Should I run a command to update the system modules e.g. dnf update or does Plesk do this for me?

Thanks Kaspar.

I had an unfortunate occurrence. I wonder if I could ask you if you have any insight into this? I tried to reboot my server (AlmaLinux 8.5 with Plesk) and it got stuck during the boot process with a message about tainted kernel:

"module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel"

This was after I did two things (stupidly):

i. Installed node.js - I think from a repo which I manually added i.e. a non-standard repo
ii. ran sudo dnf update

The latter seemed to install a lot including, I saw in the output, something to do with the kernel.

Do you know what might have caused the "tainted kernel" issue? -Is i. or ii. a more likely option?

For now; I will just take your advice and only update the OS via Plesk - but does it matter that I am not updating the kernel?

Do you know what might have caused the "tainted kernel" issue? -Is i. or ii. a more likely option?
That's is unfortunate. I don't know to be honest. It's not something I've experienced before. I am afraid I am not much of a help on this.

For now; I will just take your advice and only update the OS via Plesk - but does it matter that I am not updating the kernel?
It's a good security practice to install all available OS updates, including kernel updates. So running dnf update regularly is advised.

Last edited:
Back