• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SMTP taking port 587 although it is turned off in the panel

Frater

Regular Pleskian
I'm running a reverse proxy on port 587 (ASSP) and noticed that it is taken by postfix even though it is turned off.
Enabling it in the interface and turning it off will fix it...
Although this morning I noticed it was running on port 587.
I repeated the procedure....

I'm running Plesk 12 on a new server, but I noticed this flaky behaviour on Plesk 11.5 as well.

Could you review the code for this feature?

I'm running a reverse proxy on port 587 (ASSP) and noticed that it is taken by postfix even though it is turned off.
Enabling it in the interface and turning it off will fix it...
Although this morning I noticed it was running on port 587.
I repeated the procedure....

I'm running Plesk 12 on a new server, but I noticed this flaky behaviour on Plesk 11.5 as well.

Could you review the code for this feature?

Could you describe exactly what is the issue with proper steps to reproduce?

If you enable port submission in server-wide mail setting, then 587 port will be used by postfix:
Code:
# netstat -tpln | grep 587
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:587             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      13849/master    
tcp6       0      0 :::587                  :::*                    LISTEN      13849/master

if the postfix daemon is turned off (via Plesk gui / via init script in console)
then no 587 port is in use
Code:
# netstat -tpln | grep 587

NOTE: If you just disable Plesk mail management in Server-Wide Mail settings, the postfix daemon will not be turned off. This checkbox just disable ability to manage mail in Plesk.
The daemon will be still working and using all the ports according to its configuration.

It does work as you say, but then something all of a sudden happens and it gets turned on (not in the webif). I can give better feedback in the near future. I have a cronjob that keeps tab of changes in several directories (/etc/postfix being one of them).
Currently the port 587 is taken, so it has no way to take it.

On initial installation of Plesk the mail submission is not turned on in the web interface. It is however listening to port 587.

I think this has been like this in all modern versions of Plesk as I occasionally notice that postfix has taken 587 again. ASSP is somehow more client friendly than postfix and some users will have problems connecting while they never had a problem before.

Edit: I just restarted that new server and it came back again with port 587 enabled (disabled in WebIF).....

Last edited:
NOTE: If you just disable Plesk mail management in Server-Wide Mail settings, the postfix daemon will not be turned off. This checkbox just disable ability to manage mail in Plesk.
The daemon will be still working and using all the ports according to its configuration.

Why wouldn't it?
It does turn off port 587 immediately after I disable it in Server-Wide Mail settings?
If what you say is true than that's a bug....

Why wouldn't it?
It does turn off port 587 immediately after I disable it in Server-Wide Mail settings?
If what you say is true than that's a bug....

I mean not the "Enable message submission" checkbox but
"Enable mail management functions in Plesk"

Looks like we've detected the problem with 587 port listening even it's not enabled. It will be fixed soon.
Thanks for reporting!

Back