• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Some email issues (QMail and Outsourced Mail such as Google and Microsoft)

AaronMcH

New Pleskian
Hi, this is a bit of a strange problem.

I am hosting a few domains (including my own ones) all of them use Google Apps or Windows Live Domains, the domains never have an issue sending or receiving email normally, however using Google Apps or Windows Live Domains there are a few particular recipient domain that aren't receiving any emails from any of the domains.

After setting up a test email account on the local server and trying to send emails from it, no emails will send, however emails will still be received.

I checked in Plesk and remote emails just seem to be sitting in the mail queue, I checked /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog and this stuck out:

Mar 14 16:41:39 <short-host> qmail: 1394811699.469098 delivery 6: deferral: Connected_to_<ip-address>_but_my_name_was_rejected./Remote_host_said:_450_4.7.1_<<full-hostname>>:_Helo_command_rejected:_Host_not_found/

I'm not sure where to go next, I've checked /var/qmail/control/me which only has the full hostname, and /var/qmail/control/locals which has localhost, then localhost.localdomain, then the full hostname, as well as /etc/hosts which is configured with the local domains then the full hostname.

The main priority is to get the initial problem fixed, but I suspect that both problems are linked.

Any help would be great
Thank you
Aaron

Hi,

well is the hostname in "/var/qmail/control/me" actually in your DNS also?
Can you resolve this hostname from your local computer? (not from your server)

Regards,
Kristian

Hi Kristian

Thanks for the response, it seems that there were inconsistencies with the hostname and DNS record, the issue seems to have been regarding local mail that the DNS A record began with "hs" where as the hostname in Plesk began with "hn". So an easy fix, although I won't know for sure if that fixed the issue when sending mail from Google Apps and Windows Live Domains, however will report back when I know for sure.

Thank you for the help,
Aaron

Hi, another issue has just come up.

Using Google Apps we tried to send an email to an address (which I believe uses Microsoft Exchange, although I'm not 100% certain) and we received a delivery failed notification from Google containing the following message:

The error that the other server returned was:
550 5.7.1 Sender ID (PRA) Not Permitted

When we tried to send a message from a different domain that uses Google Apps for mail, to the same address we got the same error back, however using a domain which uses Windows Live Domains for it's mail, we did not receive an error message and the email was received.

Any ideas?
Thank you
Aaron

Hi,

to investigate in this issue, I would require the full error and the log entry in your mailserver log.

Regards,
Kristian

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure where logs for this would be, the server is running the standard Plesk installation, and since the email was sent from Google Apps will there even be an accessible log?

Thanks
Aaron

Back