• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Some 'nice' messages in the log

markcarsonboxz

New Pleskian
I like to keep an eye on things on the server, particularly log files.

In the /usr/local/psa/admin/logs/httpsd_access_log file in my installation, I have 1000s of the following:

172.xx.xxx.xx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443 - [16/Aug/2010:23:37:49 +0100] "GET /login_up.php3?login_name=admin&passwd=george HTTP/1.1" 303 0 "-" "the beast"
172.xx.xxx.xx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443 - [16/Aug/2010:23:40:22 +0100] "GET /login_up.php3?login_name=admin&passwd=guest HTTP/1.1" 303 0 "-" "the beast"

I'm not particularly concerned that there is an effort to attempt to brute-force the admin password for Plesk, since it seems there is one attempt every 3 minutes. My password is not in any dictionary as I have made a determined attempt at producing a very strong password that takes around 5mins for me to calculate using an equation.

Anyway, if in about 500 years, the beast gets my password, it will undoubtedly discover that his ip cannot get in (at least I hope so)

It is just annoying that, no matter how much is done to prevent this kind of hacking attempt, it just keeps re-appearing! Is there anything I can do to prevent this current attempt?

(I am planning the upgrade of Plesk to 9.5.2)

Is there anyone with any ideas as to how to at least find out the source ip, so this can be blocked at least to stop the log size increasing and with my recent changes to ossec, more emails...?

My VPS provider does not provide the facility within iptables to use LOG!!?? for whatever reason. I am researching other methods.

Last edited:
Back