• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Spamassassin user prefs template

L

liquorvicar

does anyone know where Plesk reads the default user_prefs from when you create a new mail name?

i'd like to amend them so the default is not to include the original message as an attachment.

thanks
andy

I believe Plesk keeps it in mySQL.

Database: psa
Table: sa_conf

each field has a default value.

Field: spam_action
Default: save
Type: enum('delete', 'save')

So I guess you would change it to delete.

not quite what i was after. that table controls the SA settings as visible from the CP. what i'm after is the user_prefs file saved as
/var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com/myname/user_prefs
my default looks like this:
required_hits 7
rewrite_subject 1
subject_tag *****SPAM*****

i want to add:
report_safe 0
use_terse_report 1
report_header 1

to each one so that SA just changes the subject line and headers of the original message.

Originally posted by liquorvicar
not quite what i was after. that table controls the SA settings as visible from the CP. what i'm after is the user_prefs file saved as
/var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com/myname/user_prefs
my default looks like this:
required_hits 7
rewrite_subject 1
subject_tag *****SPAM*****

i want to add:
report_safe 0
use_terse_report 1
report_header 1

to each one so that SA just changes the subject line and headers of the original message.
Hmmm, I am not sure what table you are looking at, but on mine, the sa_conf table shows the following fields (default value):

mailname
flt_enabled (both)
rw_subject_tag (*****SPAM*****)
hits_required (7)
spam_action(save)

Looks like the table to me....

Hi jamesyeeoc,
I think we are talking about SA-configuration per-user, not server-wide-settings. SA can be configured server-wide with the file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf. Here is the behavoir of SA (like scoring, use of razor, pyzor, dcc and so on) defined. This can be done also on a per-user-configuration with the file user_prefs in /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.tld/mailname.
With this file (equal to local.cf), you can specify user-specific settings for SA, so each user can use his own bayes-database. Some lines of this file are equal to data in sa_conf (required_hits 7, rewrite_subject 1, subject_tag *****SPAM*****). So I think plesk stores these settings in sa_conf and generates with this data the user_prefs-file for SA.
The problem of liquorvicar and me is, that we want to modify the "default" user_prefs, which is generated (by script?) or copied on mailbox-creation so that we don't have to edit or copy this file manualy for each new mailbox. I asked the same question in http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27091 (Thought, "Installation and 'How Do I' Questions" is the right place for this question).
Here is a sample of my user_prefs:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
required_hits 4
rewrite_subject 1
subject_tag ***SPAM***:
check_mx_attempts 2
check_mx_delay 5
dns_available yes
report_safe 1
use_terse_report 1
use_bayes 1
score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 0 2.25 0 1.50
score RCVD_IN_MAPS_RBL 1
score FAKED_UNDISC_RECIPS 2.899 2.694 2.800 2.700
score GAPPY_SUBJECT 2.326 1.316 2.696 2.270
score FROM_OFFERS 4.300 3.932 4.095 4.100
score ADVERT_CODE 2.899 1.578 2.633 1.817
score BAYES_60 0 0 1.250 1.250
score BAYES_70 0 0 2.000 2.000
score BAYES_80 0 0 4.250 4.250
score BAYES_90 0 0 5.500 5.500
score BAYES_99 0 0 7.750 7.750
bayes_auto_learn 1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam 0.3
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 4.0
auto_learn 1
auto_learn_threshold_spam 5
auto_learn_threshold_nonspam 0
bayes_expiry_max_db_size 10240000
skip_rbl_checks 0
use_razor2 1
razor_timeout 10
use_dcc 1
use_pyzor 1
ok_languages all
ok_locales all
-----------------------------------------------------------------
As you can see, only the 3 first lines are similar to SA-settings in CP. And it is very bad to check the server from time to time for new mailboxes and than copy /edit the user_prefs-file.
I'm searching a way to make this automaticly on mailbox-creation.

Greets from Germany
:)

Hi, yes I know you were talking about per user. As far as I know/knew, it took the basic per user settings from that table. I have been unable to find any other file where it matched on those 3 items exactly, so unless they have it hard coded into their encrypted source scripts, the database table is the only place I know of that those entries exist exactly as Plesk uses on new user creation.

Your sample user_prefs looks more like mine on the systems were I have replaced the Plesk version with the full SA. On servers which are running the standard Plesk SA, I never see it create nearly that many options by default.

Hi, this is "my sample", not the one by plesk ;-) I took loong time to build this file and to configure Plesk-SA to work fine with rules_du_jour, pyzor and so on... But now, nearly 99% of spam are detected. Everything is fine now, only this file has to be copied to each new mailbox. I wish, my plesk could create nearly that many options by default ;-)

Could you please explain how you have configured spamassassin to work with pyzor ++?

Not a big thing. I'm not a shell-freak, but I found a webpage with instruction bout it (sorry, forgott the url, can't find it quick), followed them did an install of pyzor and razor (http://razor.sourceforge.net/docs/install.php). After that, I modified local.cf and user_prefs. That's it...

Hi profitiger,
I implemented your per user settings exactly as above but the mesages come up with the following for example;

X-Spam-Status: Yes, hits=5.2 required=4.0 tests=BAYES_40,DCC_CHECK, HTML_MESSAGE,RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100,RAZOR2_CHECK autolearn=no version=2.63

Is that right for autolearn? I read your config to mean that when above 4 hits it would auto learn it. Or has it auto learned it with bayes_auto_learn? If so why isn't bayes_auto_learn mentioned in the header?

Australian Hosting

Hi Jllynch,
I'm not really sure, which of the two settings (bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 4.0, auto_learn_threshold_spam 5) is the right one for SA 2.63, because SA changed some settings on version 3.
You can try to set "auto_learn_threshold_spam" to 4, perhaps this would help. But there are some special cases for SA to stop autolearn. From the SA-Homepage (Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf. ):
bayes_auto_learn ( 0 | 1 ) (default: 1)
Whether SpamAssassin should automatically feed high-scoring mails (or low-scoring mails, for non-spam) into its learning systems. The only learning system supported currently is a naive-Bayesian-style classifier.
Note that certain tests are ignored when determining whether a message should be trained upon:
- rules with tflags set to 'learn' (the Bayesian rules) - rules with tflags set to 'userconf' (user white/black-listing rules, etc) - rules with tflags set to 'noautolearn'Also note that auto-training occurs using scores from either scoreset 0 or 1, depending on what scoreset is used during message check. It is likely that the message check and auto-train scores will be different.
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam n.nn (default: 12.0)
The score threshold above which a mail has to score, to be fed into SpamAssassin's learning systems automatically as a spam message.
Since I turned on automatic deletion of email with score >=4, I recieve no spammails for looking into the header for autolearn. I turned of deletion for testing purposes.
*ding* there is one. Here is the information from header:
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=4.4 required=4.0 tests=DEAR_SOMETHING,
EXTRA_MPART_TYPE,HTML_40_50,HTML_MESSAGE,INVALID_DATE,NO_REAL_NAME,
RCVD_IN_DSBL,RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL autolearn=spam version=3.0.4
So I think, SA < 3.0 uses other settings than SA >=3. In my actual user-prefs, there is only "bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 4.0".
I hope this helps (but I think not...)
Greetings,
ProfiTiger

Back