• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

spamc no longer working?

GarvinH

New Pleskian
Hi!

I've migrated a Plesk 8.6 installation to a Plesk 10.4 (recent patchlevel) version. Everything basically works fine.

The server is a Debian 6.0 (Hetzner) 64bit default system, very little customization or additional packages; pretty much a out-of-the box Plesk, using qmail, courier and spamassassin.

E-Mails are working, we can receive and send emails. Mails are put through spamassassin according to the Mail-headers, so the basic setup is working.

HOWEVER: In my mail.err I find a lot of those:

Code:
Apr  3 18:47:58 ctu qmail-local-handlers[21589]: mailbox: /var/qmail/mailnames/faktor-e.de/frings
Apr  3 18:47:59 ctu spamc[21596]: connect to spamd on 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection refused
Apr  3 18:48:00 ctu spamc[21596]: connect to spamd on 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#2 of 3): Connection refused
Apr  3 18:48:01 ctu spamc[21596]: connect to spamd on 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#3 of 3): Connection refused
Apr  3 18:48:02 ctu spamc[21596]: connection attempt to spamd aborted after 3 retries

This happens for every incoming email, no matter if an migrated domain or a freshly created one.

A "ps ax | grep -i spam" yields:

Code:
19701 ?        S      0:03 spamd child
21728 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep -i spam
25872 ?        Ss     0:01 /usr/sbin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 5 --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock
25873 ?        S      0:01 spamd child

I've re-started /etc/init.d/spamassassin as well as /opt/psa/admin/bin/spammsg a couple of time. No dice.

So; what is this "spamc" all about, why can't it connect to the obviously running instance? How can I debug if spamd is not listening on 127.0.0.1?

Or is spamd deprecated and no longer properly works? I'm asking because we get a lot of spam emails, so I need some sort of working setup. Any ideas/recommendations?

Found the issue!

Thanks for the reply. This lead me to find the bug.

Plesk starts spamd with the option "--socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock". "spamc" (the client to spamd) however is called with no arguments, and then by default tries to connect by TCP/IP port instead by socket.

So I need a way to either configure Plesks spammng to NOT use "--socketpath", or to configure plesk's call to "spamc" to include the parameter "-U /tmp/spamd_full.sock".

I did a full search in the entire plesk directory, and did not find an occurence of the string "socketpath"; spammng itself is a binary file, as well is the qmail "spam" handler file.

How can I get in touch with the parallels developers to fix this or to find how to patch it up?

Regards,
Garvin

Hi!

OK:

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

10.4.4 Update #24, last updated at April 3, 2012 06:48 AM
Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64
Debian 6.0

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

/opt/psa/admin/spammng starts spamd with "--socketpath" option.
The qmail "spam" handler calls spamc without the option. So spamd runs on socket, but spamc tries to connect to TCP.

This means, spamc/spamd does not work.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Send an email with enabled spamassassin in a default plesk environment, watch the mail.err file contain error messages like this:

Apr 4 10:22:28 ctu spamc[721]: connect to spamd on 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection refused
Apr 4 10:22:29 ctu spamc[721]: connect to spamd on 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#2 of 3): Connection refused
Apr 4 10:22:30 ctu spamc[721]: connect to spamd on 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#3 of 3): Connection refused
Apr 4 10:22:31 ctu spamc[721]: connection attempt to spamd aborted after 3 retries

ACTUAL RESULT

Spamc and spamd do not communicate.

EXPECTED RESULT

Spamc and spamd can communicate.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Please read the thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=258555 for a full description.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you. I have forwarded your report to developers and I will update thread with results when I receive them.

any news yet?

Any news yet on this issue?

It is pretty severe for anyone who wants to put spamc to use.

I hooked together a spamc/spamd construction which
allows outgoing mail by MTA Qmail, to be
scanned through spamassassin, alerted by inotify.

It works excellent on a non-Plesk machine, but due to
the problem described above, it doesn't work on Plesk 11.

Please provide a fix soon!

mistige

NB code:

(install inotify-tools first):
#!/bin/sh

LOG=/var/log/iwatch.log
WATCHED_DIR="/var/qmail/queue/mess"
WORKDIR=/var/log/iwatch

if [ ! -e $WORKDIR ] ; then
echo "Creating working dir $WORKDIR .."
mkdir -p $WORKDIR
fi

echo "Watching directory: $WATCHED_DIR for new files"
inotifywait -m -q -e create -r "$WATCHED_DIR" --format "%w%f" |
while read file ; do
echo "$(date): ik zie [$file] " >> $LOG
fname=`basename $file`

# writing in the watched-dir causes looping, so cp file in workdir for processing by spamc:
cp -f $file ${WORKDIR}/$fname
#production#: cat ${WORKDIR}/$fname | /usr/bin/spamc -c -F /usr/share/spamassassin/local.cf > $file
#debug#: cat ${WORKDIR}/$fname | /usr/bin/spamc -c -F /usr/share/spamassassin/local.cf > ${WORKDIR}/$fname.after.spamc ; cp -f ${WORKDIR}/$fname.after.spamc $file
cat ${WORKDIR}/$fname | /usr/bin/spamc -c -F /usr/share/spamassassin/local.cf > ${WORKDIR}/$fname.after.spamc ; cp -f ${WORKDIR}/$fname.after.spamc $file
done

# thanks to source : http://askubuntu.com/questions/102813/inotify-not-fast-enough

A workaround

Sadly nobody ever came back to me. But sadly, this has been my experience with parallels in other products as well, so it must be systematic.

Whatever, I have worked around this issue. I renamed /usr/bin/spamc to /usr/bin/spamc_orig, then created a new file /usr/bin/spamc_patched, and copied /usr/bin/spamc to /usr/bin/spamc_patched. This is so that whenever Parallels would updated the spamc binary, it will not overwrite my custom version but I'll still have that.

spamc_patched is a simple bash script (set it's chmod to be executable) with this content:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo spamc -U /tmp/spamd_full.sock "$@" >> /var/log/spamc.log 2>&1
spamc_orig -U /tmp/spamd_full.sock "$@"

The first line is just to have a logfile for possible problems. The actual call then forwards everyting to spamc_orig, but makes sure that the socket is utilized.

This has been working for me in the past few months, hope it helps.

Garvin.

Garvin,

it works indeed, but only with the vanilla spamassassin binary,
(/etc/init.d/psa-spamassassin stop ; /etc/init.d/spamassassin start).
I suppose people cant set their incoming spam threshold anymore,
but the outgoing spam issue is now more important.

Thanks again,

mistige.

Back