• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SRV-records can

Frater

Regular Pleskian
SRV-records can only be TCP or UDP in Plesk

In Plesk 10.2 it isn't possible to create SRV-records with a protocol other than TCP or UDP.
RFC2782 didn't define this restriction.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2782
Proto
The symbolic name of the desired protocol, with an underscore
(_) prepended to prevent collisions with DNS labels that occur
in nature. _TCP and _UDP are at present the most useful values
for this field, though any name defined by Assigned Numbers or
locally may be used (as for Service). The Proto is case
insensitive.

I created a ticket for this almost 2 years ago when I was using Plesk 9
Parallels confirmed I was correct, so I expected it to be fixed by now.

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue, using Plesk 10.4.4. I can only create SRV records with protocol TCP or UDP. However, for a client using Microsoft Office 365 (Lync), we need a SRV record with protcol _tls.

Does anyone know a way to around this Plesk limitation?

@Parallels, are you planning any update to solve this?

I created a ticket long before version 10 existed.
I got some mails in which Parallels confirmed I was right and their implementation wasn't covering all possibilities.
You should think they would have fixed it by now.

We only had one client that needed it and I did a manual edit of the named.conf.
This config will be rewritten each time you edit a DNS-record for that domain....

I created the TLS protocol record using another work-around, that is not overwritten by Plesk:

1. Create the DNS record you need using Plesk, but select TCP instead of the required TLS that you can't select;
2. Verify this is updated in the named configuration file for the domain, in /var/named/run-root/var/<yourdomain.tld>
3. Open the PSA database, find the DNS record you created in step 1 in the dns_recs table;
4. Update this record, i.e. _sip._tcp.<yourdomain> becomes _sip._tls.<yourdomain>;
5. In Plesk, open the SOA record for the domain and save it without a change. This forces Plesk to generate the named configuration file with your change safely in it.
6. Verify the change in /var/named/run-root/var/<yourdomain.tld>

Note that with this work-around you cannot update this specific DNS record using Plesk, it will give you an error. Other records in the DNS zone are editable, just this specific one isn't. To edit/delete it, use the PSA database.

I hope this workaround would not be needed too long, as this setting should be enabled in the Plesk interface.

What ticket ID do you mean? I want to check it.
I understand, but I created this ticket during the time with my former employer.
Can't you do a search on that RFC or SRV.
I'm sure it's mentioned in the ticket.

I hope this workaround would not be needed too long, as this setting should be enabled in the Plesk interface.
Don't hold your breath!

I've run into the same problem today on 10.4.4 with a customer wanting to use Lync. I went with the modify SQL record route and rebuild the zone with dnsmng. Not sure why Plesk chose to use a radio button with TCP/UDP options when it really should be a text field. I guess they're trying to dummy-proof their interface.

Will add this to list of significant short-comings that Parallels doesn't seem to be addressing in any timely manner. Not being compatible with a Microsoft offering is going to be a big problem for Plesk.

Will this non-RFC compliance be dealt with?
I informed you about it at least 3 years ago!

The nicest way would be changing the 2 radio buttons into a 3 radio button with a text-field.

Is there any news on whether the ability to add SRV records with TLS as the protocol is coming to PLESK soon? We have 4 PLESK servers running version 11.09 on CentOS 6.2 which host DNS for all schools within our county. Microsoft LYNC is being rolled out to the schools and we need to be able to add an SRV record with TLS as the protocol. We would greatly appreciate it if this functionality could be added into PLESK.
Thanks.

Don't hold your breath

This and other threads have been ignored by Parallels since Plesk 8!!!!! (see posts by Frater)

To add salt to this festering wound changes in version 11 of Plesk appear to have made the above workaround useless as the location of the run-root directory appears to have been changed and so far I have been unable to find the named config location. I too have a LYNC roll out that as of Plesk 11 is sunk.

Time to move to cpanel I think.

This feature will be implemented in Plesk 11.1 version. I have no any ETA when it will be released.

Back