• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question SSH login. Update available

Pagemakers

Silver Pleskian
Just got a new 1&1 dedicated server running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

When I SSH I am presented with:

1 update can be applied immediately.
To see these additional updates run: apt list --upgradable

1) Is it safe to install this update?
2) What is the update?
3) How do I install it?

Thank you.

I'd suggest you install system updates with the help of a special Plesk tool: (Plesk for Linux) System Updates
Thanks but I don’t think when I login to SSH the message displayed relates to Plesk. If I do as you say via the CP there are no available updates.

When I login via SSH the following message is displayed.

* Super-optimized for small spaces - read how we shrank the memory
footprint of MicroK8s to make it the smallest full K8s around.

From lightweight to featherweight: MicroK8s memory optimisation | Ubuntu

1 update can be applied immediately.
To see these additional updates run: apt list --upgradable

In fact, we can only guarantee a safe system update through the Plesk interface. If you update using the operating system, we are not responsible for the consequences. This you do at your own risk.

@Pagemakers ,
additionally to the Igor's posts, in SSH session you can see available updates using
apt list --upgradable
command.

in most cases installation of Ubuntu system updates with apt upgrade command is safe.
But as Igor said, it would be better to use PUM, you can find it at
Tools & Settings > Update Settings > Available Updates

this tool allows to install system updates under Plesk control.

No packages are available for update via Plesk interface.

When I login via SSH the SSH login banner says 1 update available.

I think Plesk interface relates to Plesk updates and the SSH login relates to Ubuntu updates.

2 different things.

@Pagemakers ,
PUM can work with only system package manager, so for Ubuntu it "can see" updates available by apt only.
is command apt list --upgradable returns list of packages ?

Also, in some cases Plesk may not suggest to update some packages (for example major update from MariaDB 10.3 to 10.5),
because this is dangerous procedure and must be controlled by human.

# apt list --upgradableListing... Done
ubuntu-advantage-tools/focal-updates 27.0.2~20.04.1 amd64 [upgradable from: 20.3]
N: There is 1 additional version. Please use the '-a' switch to see it

Why does PUM show no updates but when I login to SSH it says 1 update available.
I have seen something like this with Onyx on debian jessie. Plesk would not show dist-upgrades, in that case, a kernel update that messed around with the metapackage.

@mow ,
but ubuntu-advantage-tools is a bunch of scripts for centralized management.
Actually if you don't use it - it can be removed at all.

in my case this update did not shown some time because broken apt sources were added (so apt update command finished with error that can't update some sources)

but after I've removed them and click on 'Check for Updates' button in PUM - this package appeared as available for update.

Back