• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/nginx/conf.d/ssl.conf

batgranny

New Pleskian
I recently upgraded Plesk to Onyx 17.5 and am unable to generate new configuration files for Apache. I see an error on the Plesk home page:

New configuration files for the Apache web server were not created due to the errors in configuration templates: nginx: [emerg] "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/nginx/conf.d/ssl.conf:1 nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed . Detailed error descriptions were sent to you by email. Please resolve the issues and click here to generate broken configuration files once again or here to generate all configuration files. See the details in Configuration Troubleshooter

Nginx is actually disabled but for some reason it is preventing me from changing the Apache configuration to optimise the Apache SSL ciphers for PCI compliance. I have done a search for "ssl_ciphers" in /etc/nginx and can see the following files:

/etc/nginx/conf.d/ssl.bak:
/etc/nginx/nginx.conf.170829-02008

ssl.bak is ssl.conf which I have renamed and commented the ssl info out of.

How do I resolve this issue? Do I have to re-enable Nginx and restart / disable? Are there other Nginx configuration files located somewhere?

Thanks for your reply, the result of that command is:

nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful

From Resolved - Can't login to plesk panel after updating from 12.0 to onyx by @UFHH01:
# find /etc/sw-cp-server -type f -name "*.conf" -exec grep --color -Hni "ssl_ciphers" {} \;
do the same for
# find /etc/nginx ......
# find /etc/httpd ......
# find /etc/apache2 ......
Then delete one of the duplicate sets so that only a single set remains. This issue appears in several flavors, and the solution is always to remove all duplicates, then restart the web server(s) and you are all set. No matter what the situation is, just make sure that only a single ssl_ciphers entry resides on the system. (Make backups of the files that you remove before removing them.)

Thank you Peter, making sure that there was only one set of SSL cipher settings across Apache and Nginx, then restarting all the services sorted the issue.

Back