• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Subdomain nor working after adding LetsEncrypt-certificate

SiegbertG

New Pleskian
Hello,

I created a subdomain nextcloud.glodek-edv.de. This works for a moment, i was able to open the subdomain and saw the plesk-default-screen.

Then i tried to add a certificate. For LetsEncrypt i was told to add a _acme_challange to the TXT-record in the DNS.

I added the certificate/acme_challange with the follwing steps:
  • open DNS-settings of the virtual machine hosters (STRATO) page
  • add a subdomain nextcloud
  • add the txt-record
  • confirm test in Plesk to add the certificat ->works, certificate was added
  • remove / delete the subdomain in the hosters DNS (i think it is no longer needed -> neccessary for LetsEncrypt- acme-challange only)
After that the subdomain was no longer reachable in web-interface (http and https). In Plesk all data seems to be fine, i can see the domain, add/change settings an so on. But even Plesks "open in browser" shows a "site not found".

I tried to do a plesk repair web - no success.

I tried to recreate the subdomain in the hosters DNS - no success.

What did i do wrong (deleting subdomain in hosters DNS)?
How can i make the subdomain usable in web-browser again?

many thanks,
Siegbert

remove / delete the subdomain in the hosters DNS (i think it is no longer needed -> neccessary for LetsEncrypt- acme-challange only)
I might misunderstood this step, but this seems to the cause of your issue. Without a DNS record for the subdomain there is no way the reach/access the subdomain.

If I run a DNS lookup for your subdomain it returns no DNS record. So your solution would be to add a DNS record for your subdomain and point it to your server.

I might misunderstood this step, but this seems to the cause of your issue. Without a DNS record for the subdomain there is no way the reach/access the subdomain.

If I run a DNS lookup for your subdomain it returns no DNS record. So your solution would be to add a DNS record for your subdomain and point it to your server.
Hallo Rasp,
I have many subdomains working without problems and none of them has a subdomain entry in the DNS of the hoster. The subdomains are handled entirely by plesk v-hosts.
The subdomain works fine until I added the subdomain in the hosters DNS to fill the TXT-record and deleted it because I thought (like all other subdomains) that is is not necessary after getting the LetsEncrypt certificate. I think that was the mistake, but now I am not able to repair it.
As I wrote, I tried to recreate the subdomain at the hosters DNS, but this didn't solve the problem. Maybe I have to wait one more day until DNS change is active.

Best regards
Siegbert

I have many subdomains working without problems and none of them has a subdomain entry in the DNS of the hoster. The subdomains are handled entirely by plesk v-hosts.
The subdomain works fine until I added the subdomain in the hosters DNS to fill the TXT-record and deleted it because I thought (like all other subdomains) that is is not necessary after getting the LetsEncrypt certificate. I think that was the mistake, but now I am not able to repair it.
As I wrote, I tried to recreate the subdomain at the hosters DNS, but this didn't solve the problem. Maybe I have to wait one more day until DNS change is active.
Like I said in my previous post, if I run a DNS lookup for your subdomain it returns no DNS record. It doesn't matter where you manage the DNS zone for your domain (directly on Plesk or with your provider), without a DNS record you'll never be able to access the subdomain.

It was a probem with the hosters DNS: the DNS-Settings were available and seems to bo OK. But there was an additional button to activate them. After that all works fine.

How can i set this topic to solved?

Back