• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Subdomain nor working after adding LetsEncrypt-certificate

SiegbertG

New Pleskian
Hello,

I created a subdomain nextcloud.glodek-edv.de. This works for a moment, i was able to open the subdomain and saw the plesk-default-screen.

Then i tried to add a certificate. For LetsEncrypt i was told to add a _acme_challange to the TXT-record in the DNS.

I added the certificate/acme_challange with the follwing steps:
  • open DNS-settings of the virtual machine hosters (STRATO) page
  • add a subdomain nextcloud
  • add the txt-record
  • confirm test in Plesk to add the certificat ->works, certificate was added
  • remove / delete the subdomain in the hosters DNS (i think it is no longer needed -> neccessary for LetsEncrypt- acme-challange only)
After that the subdomain was no longer reachable in web-interface (http and https). In Plesk all data seems to be fine, i can see the domain, add/change settings an so on. But even Plesks "open in browser" shows a "site not found".

I tried to do a plesk repair web - no success.

I tried to recreate the subdomain in the hosters DNS - no success.

What did i do wrong (deleting subdomain in hosters DNS)?
How can i make the subdomain usable in web-browser again?

many thanks,
Siegbert

remove / delete the subdomain in the hosters DNS (i think it is no longer needed -> neccessary for LetsEncrypt- acme-challange only)
I might misunderstood this step, but this seems to the cause of your issue. Without a DNS record for the subdomain there is no way the reach/access the subdomain.

If I run a DNS lookup for your subdomain it returns no DNS record. So your solution would be to add a DNS record for your subdomain and point it to your server.

I might misunderstood this step, but this seems to the cause of your issue. Without a DNS record for the subdomain there is no way the reach/access the subdomain.

If I run a DNS lookup for your subdomain it returns no DNS record. So your solution would be to add a DNS record for your subdomain and point it to your server.
Hallo Rasp,
I have many subdomains working without problems and none of them has a subdomain entry in the DNS of the hoster. The subdomains are handled entirely by plesk v-hosts.
The subdomain works fine until I added the subdomain in the hosters DNS to fill the TXT-record and deleted it because I thought (like all other subdomains) that is is not necessary after getting the LetsEncrypt certificate. I think that was the mistake, but now I am not able to repair it.
As I wrote, I tried to recreate the subdomain at the hosters DNS, but this didn't solve the problem. Maybe I have to wait one more day until DNS change is active.

Best regards
Siegbert

I have many subdomains working without problems and none of them has a subdomain entry in the DNS of the hoster. The subdomains are handled entirely by plesk v-hosts.
The subdomain works fine until I added the subdomain in the hosters DNS to fill the TXT-record and deleted it because I thought (like all other subdomains) that is is not necessary after getting the LetsEncrypt certificate. I think that was the mistake, but now I am not able to repair it.
As I wrote, I tried to recreate the subdomain at the hosters DNS, but this didn't solve the problem. Maybe I have to wait one more day until DNS change is active.
Like I said in my previous post, if I run a DNS lookup for your subdomain it returns no DNS record. It doesn't matter where you manage the DNS zone for your domain (directly on Plesk or with your provider), without a DNS record you'll never be able to access the subdomain.

It was a probem with the hosters DNS: the DNS-Settings were available and seems to bo OK. But there was an additional button to activate them. After that all works fine.

How can i set this topic to solved?

Back