• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Subdomains

D

dlynes

I would like to be able to set up a subdomain in my DNS zone. However, what Plesk calls a subdomain is just a subdomain website. I need to be able to do this, because one of my hosts needs to be able to send out mail and receive mail, but it should not be receiving mail for the main domain. I know how to set all this up in Bind8/Bind9, but no clue how to do it in Plesk. Is there a way to set up a subdomain in the DNS, so that I can have the following scenario?:

What would typically be /etc/bind9/domain.com.conf:

; SOA record for main domain goes here
NS ip.ad.dr.ess

@ A ip.ad.dr.ess
mail A ip.ad.dr.ess
@ MX mail.domain.com.

What would typically be /etc/bind9/sub.domain.com.conf:

; SOA record for subdomain goes here
NS ip.ad.dr.ess

@ A ip.ad.dr.ess
mail A ip.ad.dr.ess
@ MX mail.sub.domain.com.

Thank you.

By default, Plesk CP creates A record for subdomains. Try to remove that record and create NS record in domain zone instead so Plesk name server will try to search subdomain zone instead of checking the records in domain zone:
subdomain.com NS Plesk_Name_server

By default, Plesk CP creates A record for subdomains. Try to remove that record and create NS record in domain zone instead so Plesk name server will try to search subdomain zone instead of checking the records in domain zone:
subdomain.com NS Plesk_Name_server

I tried that about 2 hours ago, and the DNS server (configured by plesk) isn't taking it, either.

I went into DNS management, added an NS record, an MX record, and an A record.

It's still caching my old CNAME record, for some reason. I've even tried restarting the DNS server, and rndc reload'ing it. Neither seems to help.

Plesk/DNS/Grrrrr

The old cname information is gone now, but the new one isn't coming up, either.

I tried that about 2 hours ago, and the DNS server (configured by plesk) isn't taking it, either.

I went into DNS management, added an NS record, an MX record, and an A record.

It's still caching my old CNAME record, for some reason. I've even tried restarting the DNS server, and rndc reload'ing it. Neither seems to help.

Did you ever find a workaround for this subdomain DNS issue? I am in the same situation and don't see a way out using the Plesk GUI...

Thanks

Subdomain DNS issue

Did you ever find a workaround for this subdomain DNS issue? I am in the same situation and don't see a way out using the Plesk GUI...

Thanks

If I remember correctly, I had to play a waiting game, and eventually plesk came up with the correct answer. Either that, or I restarted the plesk server, and then played a waiting game.

Back