• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Suggestions for Backup

theywill

Basic Pleskian
Hi there,

I've been running a Plesk server with around 100 domains for years and years now. I've always used a backup service provided by the server vendor, but with a new server, I wanted to consider some of the backup options built into Plesk. I was hoping someone with experience could provide a little feedback about the following:

1. It looks like Plesk/Acronis is dead or only for Windows. Is that right?

2. If I add a backup drive to the server, can I setup Plesk Backup Manager to store the backups there (instead of on the main RAID array)?

3. Are there any other 3rd party extensions that I should consider?

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,
James

Thanks, Igor.

I'm trying out the dropbox extension now. It seems like using an external personal repository via SFTP might be a better option though. The built-in tools have more scheduling flexibility.

Thanks, Igor.

I'm trying out the dropbox extension now. It seems like using an external personal repository via SFTP might be a better option though. The built-in tools have more scheduling flexibility.

I'd recommend Crashplan. Dropbox is imho too limited, whereas Crashplan also offers restore of any file of any time ever in the backup repository, while incurring no fee for the amount of data stored.

That being said, I am on the 1 Client Home license. Only thing to consider: initial configuration can be tricky if you use a "headless server" (a server without X11). In that case you can remotely connect.

Example on my configuration:
1. Crashplan on my workstation to backup locally.
2. Crashplan client on my Plesk server.
3. Plesk saves 10 backups max on the server.
4. Crashplan on my server serves the backups to my client computer, where they are backuped by my "paid Crashplan account".

Advantage: full backup of my client and the server, last 10 backups available locally on my desktop, all data stored centrally at Crashplan datacenter with all revisions, paying only one Crashplan subscription.

PS: Before I forget: Crashplan is extremely "data-aware", meaning amount of transferred data is at a minimum necessary, which is kinda kewl.

I just finished my script for backing up plesk servers to Google Drive. If you are interested here is a link to it: Plesk2GDrive
I have also created one that backs up to Dropbox as well: Plesk2Dropbox

The benefits of these are that you can run them on a scheduled cron job rather than the once per day requirement with the Dropbox extension. These scripts don't create a new backup that could interfere with your local backup. They take the latest existing backup and use that .

If you have any questions let me know.

Martin and Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

Brian, I'm going to checkout those scripts.

Martin, I like the idea of using Crashplan. I use it on my workstation. I'm running CentOS 6.5 on my Plesk server. Do you have a particular recipe or set of instructions for getting that going?

I have #2 setup, with the Plesk backups going to a spare drive, which is nice because you're not using your high-performance array for bulk storage.

James

Martin and Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

Brian, I'm going to checkout those scripts.

Martin, I like the idea of using Crashplan. I use it on my workstation. I'm running CentOS 6.5 on my Plesk server. Do you have a particular recipe or set of instructions for getting that going?

I have #2 setup, with the Plesk backups going to a spare drive, which is nice because you're not using your high-performance array for bulk storage.

James

You want to go through this configuration to configure a headless client: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Configuring_A_Headless_Client

The howto works, but is tricky. Be advised to check the howto word for word and proceed exactly as written - its definite and complete. (I had the issue to mix up both IP addresses at one point - just misunderstood whats happening - once you got it sorted its perfect).

Back