• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved sw-cp-server.service doesn't start after update from 18.0.24 to 18.0.25

Josch

New Pleskian
Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.25

Hi,

I updated Plesk Obsidian from 18.0.24 to 18.0.25 yesterday.

This morning I got an error from Watchdog, that the Plesk Web Server been released from monitoring.
I tried to reactivate the service monitoring for the Plesk Web Server but it fails. After proving the service
status switches to red ("Service is stopped").

So I looked at the corresponding process with "systemctl status sw-cp-server.service":

Code:
root@mail:~# systemctl status sw-cp-server.service
* sw-cp-server.service - Startup script for Plesk control panel server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/sw-cp-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/sw-cp-server.service.d
           `-respawn.conf
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-03-19 11:50:28 CET; 2s ago
  Process: 31146 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sw-cp-serverd -c /etc/sw-cp-server/config (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 31143 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/sw-cp-serverd -q -t (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 906 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

and did a "journalctl -xe":

Here I get l loads of:

Code:
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8443 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8880 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to [::]:8443 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to [::]:8880 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()

When I try "/bin/systemctl start sw-cp-server.service" I get this:

Code:
Job for sw-cp-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status sw-cp-server.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

The Plesk admin backend is reachable via IP-Address:8443.

So how can I get the sw-cp-server.service working again? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance and best wishes,

Joska

Hello Monty,

ah! I was on that page but didn't mention the part on the bottom of that page because the errors and error messages didn't match my problem (so I thought ;-)).

The killing of the sw-cp-server processes from that instructions did the trick:

1. Connect to the Plesk server via SSH.
  2. Find PID of sw-cp-server processes:
    Code:
    # ps ax | grep sw-cp | grep -v grep
    18183 ? Ss 0:00 sw-cp-server: master process /usr/sbin/sw-cp-serverd -c /etc/sw-cp-server/config
    18185 ? S 16:18 sw-cp-server: worker process

3. Kill processes by their PID:
    Code:
    # kill -9 18183
    # kill -9 18185

4. Restart the sw-cp-server service:
    Code:
    # service sw-cp-server restart
    Starting sw-cp-serverd: [ OK ]

Thanks a lot for your help and best wishes,

Joska

Back