• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved sw-cp-server.service doesn't start after update from 18.0.24 to 18.0.25

Josch

New Pleskian
Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.25

Hi,

I updated Plesk Obsidian from 18.0.24 to 18.0.25 yesterday.

This morning I got an error from Watchdog, that the Plesk Web Server been released from monitoring.
I tried to reactivate the service monitoring for the Plesk Web Server but it fails. After proving the service
status switches to red ("Service is stopped").

So I looked at the corresponding process with "systemctl status sw-cp-server.service":

Code:
root@mail:~# systemctl status sw-cp-server.service
* sw-cp-server.service - Startup script for Plesk control panel server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/sw-cp-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/sw-cp-server.service.d
           `-respawn.conf
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-03-19 11:50:28 CET; 2s ago
  Process: 31146 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sw-cp-serverd -c /etc/sw-cp-server/config (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 31143 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/sw-cp-serverd -q -t (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 906 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

and did a "journalctl -xe":

Here I get l loads of:

Code:
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8443 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:8880 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to [::]:8443 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to [::]:8880 failed (98: Address already in use)
Mar 19 12:00:38 my.servername.com sw-cp-serverd[32177]: nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()

When I try "/bin/systemctl start sw-cp-server.service" I get this:

Code:
Job for sw-cp-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status sw-cp-server.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

The Plesk admin backend is reachable via IP-Address:8443.

So how can I get the sw-cp-server.service working again? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance and best wishes,

Joska

Hello Monty,

ah! I was on that page but didn't mention the part on the bottom of that page because the errors and error messages didn't match my problem (so I thought ;-)).

The killing of the sw-cp-server processes from that instructions did the trick:

1. Connect to the Plesk server via SSH.
  2. Find PID of sw-cp-server processes:
    Code:
    # ps ax | grep sw-cp | grep -v grep
    18183 ? Ss 0:00 sw-cp-server: master process /usr/sbin/sw-cp-serverd -c /etc/sw-cp-server/config
    18185 ? S 16:18 sw-cp-server: worker process

3. Kill processes by their PID:
    Code:
    # kill -9 18183
    # kill -9 18185

4. Restart the sw-cp-server service:
    Code:
    # service sw-cp-server restart
    Starting sw-cp-serverd: [ OK ]

Thanks a lot for your help and best wishes,

Joska

Back