• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

System users without corresponding record in the /etc/passwd file

Marc Mertens

New Pleskian
It seems that I got some inconsistency in my server configuration. I try to add a new domain via Onix. So far so good, durring the process I got the following error message:

Aufgrund folgender Fehler in den Konfigurations-Templates konnten keine neuen Konfigurationsdateien für den Apache Webserver erstellt werden: Template processing failed: file = /opt/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/domainVhost.php, error = Template_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Processor.php line: 28 code: 0 Previous error: Template_Variable_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Variable/AbstractCachedData.php line: 67 code: 0. Ausführliche Fehlerbeschreibungen wurden Ihnen per E-Mail zugesendet. Bitte lösen Sie das Problem und klicken Sie hier, um die beschädigten Konfigurationsdateien erneut zu erstellen, oder hier, um alle Konfigurationsdateien zu erstellen. Einzelheiten im Configuration Troubleshooter ansehen
I did check the Configuration Troubleshooter and found the following:

Fehler: Aufgrund von Fehlern in den Konfigurations-Templates konnten keine neuen Konfigurationsdateien für den Apache Webserver erstellt werden: Template processing failed: file = /opt/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/domainVhost.php, error = Template_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Processor.php line: 28 code: 0 Previous error: Template_Variable_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Variable/AbstractCachedData.php line: 67 code: 0. In Wissensdatenbank suchen
I'm not able to recreate the files manually! But I found in the /opt/psa/tmp/webserver_configuration_issues.log file the following message

Checking Plesk version
Installed Plesk version/build: 17.0.17 Debian 8.0 1700161110.20

Checking for custom configuration templates ......................... [OK]

Checking for the JkWorkersFile directive in the Apache configuration [OK]

Checking associations between domains and IP addresses .............. [OK]

Checking for corrupted reference between IP collections and IP
addresses ........................................................... [OK]

Checking for links between APS applications and subscriptions ....... [OK]

Checking for the Zend extension declaraion in php.ini ............... [OK]

Check symbolic links for latest virtual host config files ........... [OK]

Checking for system users home directories consistency
There is system user startdedicated in the psa database with home dir /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de without corresponding record in the /etc/passwd file

There are some inconsistencies in the Parallels Plesk system users.
Please check http://kb.plesk.com/113490 for solution and log file
/opt/psa/tmp/webserver_configuration_issues.log for details ....... [WARNING]

Checking for records with empty name field in the Configurations table[OK]

Checking for nginx ULIMIT value ..................................... [OK]

Checking for extra configurations in database not owned by any object [OK]

Found errors: 0; Found Warnings: 1

Any idea how to recreate the user e.g. change the passwd accordingly ?

Hi Marc Mertens,

could you pls. explain, why you added the server - hoster - domain over your Plesk Control Panel? ( xxx.startdedicated.de ). You don't own the domain "startdedicated.de" and you will always experience issues/errors/problems, when it comes to DNS - entries, because since you are not the owner for that domain, you are not able to edit/modify/change nameserver - entries. ;)

Consider to REMOVE server - hosting - provider related (sub)domains from Plesk and change the hostname to something like "MY-OWN-CHOOSEN-SERVER-NAME.MY-OWN-DOMAIN.COM".

If you insist of keeping the subdomain from your server - hosting - provider in Plesk, you are able to create a system - user and it's password with for example:
Code:
mkdir /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de
chown startdedicated:psaserv /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de
useradd -d /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de -N -g psacln -s /bin/bash startdedicated
( Pls. REPLACE "xxx" with the correct name! )
( you will be prompted to define a password, after the "useradd" - command )

Hi,
me again :) The full domain name is dragon772.startdedicated.de as the server is from Server4you and installed via an image :) The user "startdedicated" is the root/admin user from Plesk as far as I can see. The user is used my Plesk to add and/or remove all domain related stuff as far as I can see. Is there a way to change the passwd for that user or to see the related passwd to add/change it via shell? I hope that you understand what I'm looking for :)

Due to the fact that I duno how to explain it different :-/

Hi Marc Mertens,

The user "startdedicated" is the root/admin user from Plesk as far as I can see
No way... root + admin are root + admin, there is no way to change that. ;)

The user is used my Plesk to add and/or remove all domain related stuff as far as I can see
What makes you think this way?

There is system user startdedicated in the psa database
States clear, that Plesk stored a SYSTEM - USER ( system user = is not necessarily "root", or "admin"... "apache2", "nginx", ... are as well system - users!!! ), with the name "startdedicated" in its database, for the home - directory "/var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de", so YOU added the subdomain there. The install - image(s) from your server - hosting - provider don't include (sub)domain entries. ;)

Pls. try to inform yourself a bit, as for example by opening the file "/etc/passwd". You will notice, that for each domain, that you added over your Plesk Control Panel, there is a corresponding (domain) "system - user", which you define during the add-domain - process. For some reason(s), the specific corresponding (domain) system - user "startdedicated" has been deleted from "/etc/passwd" and this specific entry has to be brought back, which you will do, when you use the above suggested commands.

Is there a way to change the passwd for that user
Well, pls. tell me HOW you would like to change a user - password, when the user doesn't exist on your server, according to your "/etc/passwd" - file?
Apart from that, WHY would you like to change the password?

Back