• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

System users without corresponding record in the /etc/passwd file

Marc Mertens

New Pleskian
It seems that I got some inconsistency in my server configuration. I try to add a new domain via Onix. So far so good, durring the process I got the following error message:

Aufgrund folgender Fehler in den Konfigurations-Templates konnten keine neuen Konfigurationsdateien für den Apache Webserver erstellt werden: Template processing failed: file = /opt/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/domainVhost.php, error = Template_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Processor.php line: 28 code: 0 Previous error: Template_Variable_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Variable/AbstractCachedData.php line: 67 code: 0. Ausführliche Fehlerbeschreibungen wurden Ihnen per E-Mail zugesendet. Bitte lösen Sie das Problem und klicken Sie hier, um die beschädigten Konfigurationsdateien erneut zu erstellen, oder hier, um alle Konfigurationsdateien zu erstellen. Einzelheiten im Configuration Troubleshooter ansehen
I did check the Configuration Troubleshooter and found the following:

Fehler: Aufgrund von Fehlern in den Konfigurations-Templates konnten keine neuen Konfigurationsdateien für den Apache Webserver erstellt werden: Template processing failed: file = /opt/psa/admin/conf/templates/default/domainVhost.php, error = Template_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Processor.php line: 28 code: 0 Previous error: Template_Variable_Exception: No data. file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Variable/AbstractCachedData.php line: 67 code: 0. In Wissensdatenbank suchen
I'm not able to recreate the files manually! But I found in the /opt/psa/tmp/webserver_configuration_issues.log file the following message

Checking Plesk version
Installed Plesk version/build: 17.0.17 Debian 8.0 1700161110.20

Checking for custom configuration templates ......................... [OK]

Checking for the JkWorkersFile directive in the Apache configuration [OK]

Checking associations between domains and IP addresses .............. [OK]

Checking for corrupted reference between IP collections and IP
addresses ........................................................... [OK]

Checking for links between APS applications and subscriptions ....... [OK]

Checking for the Zend extension declaraion in php.ini ............... [OK]

Check symbolic links for latest virtual host config files ........... [OK]

Checking for system users home directories consistency
There is system user startdedicated in the psa database with home dir /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de without corresponding record in the /etc/passwd file

There are some inconsistencies in the Parallels Plesk system users.
Please check http://kb.plesk.com/113490 for solution and log file
/opt/psa/tmp/webserver_configuration_issues.log for details ....... [WARNING]

Checking for records with empty name field in the Configurations table[OK]

Checking for nginx ULIMIT value ..................................... [OK]

Checking for extra configurations in database not owned by any object [OK]

Found errors: 0; Found Warnings: 1

Any idea how to recreate the user e.g. change the passwd accordingly ?

Hi Marc Mertens,

could you pls. explain, why you added the server - hoster - domain over your Plesk Control Panel? ( xxx.startdedicated.de ). You don't own the domain "startdedicated.de" and you will always experience issues/errors/problems, when it comes to DNS - entries, because since you are not the owner for that domain, you are not able to edit/modify/change nameserver - entries. ;)

Consider to REMOVE server - hosting - provider related (sub)domains from Plesk and change the hostname to something like "MY-OWN-CHOOSEN-SERVER-NAME.MY-OWN-DOMAIN.COM".

If you insist of keeping the subdomain from your server - hosting - provider in Plesk, you are able to create a system - user and it's password with for example:
Code:
mkdir /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de
chown startdedicated:psaserv /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de
useradd -d /var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de -N -g psacln -s /bin/bash startdedicated
( Pls. REPLACE "xxx" with the correct name! )
( you will be prompted to define a password, after the "useradd" - command )

Hi,
me again :) The full domain name is dragon772.startdedicated.de as the server is from Server4you and installed via an image :) The user "startdedicated" is the root/admin user from Plesk as far as I can see. The user is used my Plesk to add and/or remove all domain related stuff as far as I can see. Is there a way to change the passwd for that user or to see the related passwd to add/change it via shell? I hope that you understand what I'm looking for :)

Due to the fact that I duno how to explain it different :-/

Hi Marc Mertens,

The user "startdedicated" is the root/admin user from Plesk as far as I can see
No way... root + admin are root + admin, there is no way to change that. ;)

The user is used my Plesk to add and/or remove all domain related stuff as far as I can see
What makes you think this way?

There is system user startdedicated in the psa database
States clear, that Plesk stored a SYSTEM - USER ( system user = is not necessarily "root", or "admin"... "apache2", "nginx", ... are as well system - users!!! ), with the name "startdedicated" in its database, for the home - directory "/var/www/vhosts/xxx.startdedicated.de", so YOU added the subdomain there. The install - image(s) from your server - hosting - provider don't include (sub)domain entries. ;)

Pls. try to inform yourself a bit, as for example by opening the file "/etc/passwd". You will notice, that for each domain, that you added over your Plesk Control Panel, there is a corresponding (domain) "system - user", which you define during the add-domain - process. For some reason(s), the specific corresponding (domain) system - user "startdedicated" has been deleted from "/etc/passwd" and this specific entry has to be brought back, which you will do, when you use the above suggested commands.

Is there a way to change the passwd for that user
Well, pls. tell me HOW you would like to change a user - password, when the user doesn't exist on your server, according to your "/etc/passwd" - file?
Apart from that, WHY would you like to change the password?

Back