• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

System with massively broken filesystem permissions

calderwood

Regular Pleskian
Due to a simple mistake "chown name /" done from a shell command in a domain directory, most of the files/directories on the server now have the incorrect permissions starting from /. I can't log in as root because the passwords files has been changed and root doesn't have access. I used cron to serach for a user with root privleges and found one, logged on, but was still denied SU status. I've been able to change some permissions, but anything that is root is no go. Tried to restore a backup, but it is a root save and gets rejected. Have some access but not enough.

Amazingly, the server is still working. Can't add new clients. Don't want to re-install the server from scratch. Am on Pleask 8.1 and FC2. My other thought is to get a new box with FC4 and then migrate all of the client files over or restore from backup on the new server. Anyone done this?

Also, I'm sure I not the only person to make a stupid error like this - how was it fixed? Should have had the beer before I started, or waited until the morning.

Back