• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

thoughts on plesk 8.0

J

johnminator

hi guys,

just wanted to get a general consensus on how happy everyone is with plesk 8.0.

would you recommend getting this version, or installing a previous version (as patches are probably already out for any major bugs)?

i'm planning to setup a few plesk boxes and wanted to see what everyone thought before i decide on a version to install.

8.0.0 is a waste. It's buggy, and sw-soft hasn't released ANY fixes in a month... the mail handlers are **** now, spamassassin support is nonexistant (yet I somehow manage to still get a bill saying I paid for it), antivirus is still useless (if it works at all, it's overpriced), server loads are astronomical since the update from 7.5.4 (as in, from 0.3 to 11.5) every time the server has to process an email. The backup/restore feature is a simple waste of server space, and is not reverse-compatible as claimed, and also now has the FTP backup removed (they claim they'll bring it back in a later release). Half the software that runs on the server delivers mail as root, yet sw-soft has decided that it doesn't WANT you to be able to receive that mail, so it ties it up in the mail queue instead, never to be delivered.

Get 7.5.4, and don't update it. The only new features in 8.0 are useless anyway, and in the process sw-soft managed to break the existing ones.

I purchased 7.5.4 and since 8 was around the corner I waited because I was expecting certain new features to be included: eg. shared SSL, more control over subdomains (protected directories, log manager etc.) - these things were already available in Plesk for Windows, but unfortunately they are not in Plesk 8 Linux. Having said that, without comparing it against 7.5.4, I'm generally happy. Sure, I'd like to be able to customise how things work, and I'll be writing a lot of scripts for the event manager, but this isn't a Plesk 8-specific concern.

So far I haven't experienced any of the major problems people have described, so my guess is that these are largely due to people upgrading from 7.5.4. Its the "so far" that makes me nervous though.

My thought is to go with a clean install of Plesk 8. But if you do decide to use 7.5.4 don't upgrade to 8 - install 8 on a clean server and migrate sites across.

Back