• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Total Domains name server question

J

jpepper

I have a DNS question regarding parked domains using Total Domains. When I park a domain, I am told to use the parked domain's parent as the name server.

For example, if I park a new domain called parkeddomain.com under parentdomain.com, I am told to use ns.parentdomain.com for the DNS for parkeddomain.com.

I would prefer that parked domains use the same name servers as the parent domains on my server: ns1.mynameserver.com and ns2.mynameserver.com.

Is my server set up incorrectly or is it not possible to do what I am asking? I set up my DNS using the following guidlines:

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.p...7&highlight=dns

Here is my DNS zone template if needed.

<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

Thank you very much for your assistance.

[I just posted this on the 4PSA forum as well. Sorry about the double post, but I don't think they get as much action over there.)

If the IP address for ns.parentdomain.com and ns1.mynameserver.com are the same, then it really doesn't matter since it's the same nameserver.... :D

Fantastic! Thanks so much James for the speedy response.

Edit:
Come to think of it the IP addresses are not the same. I am allocated three IP addresses for my server. I use one IP address for my main site and for the IP address for my custom name servers. The remaining two IP addresses are shared amount hosting accounts for my clients.

But your Plesk server is still the Master DNS server for your hosted domains, right? All 3 IPs go to your Plesk server, and unless you customized named to only listen on a single IP, then it should be listening and responding on all IPs. So again, what does it matter, if all IPs lead to the same end point the final goal is attained in any case.

I got you. Thanks again James. It sounds like I should be in good shape. I'll run some tests today. Perfect.

No luck.

I had a domain the was set to point to my Plesk host using ns1.mynameserver.com and ns2.mynameserver.com. These DNS were set some time ago so I don't think it is a propagation issue.

I then added the domain as a parked domain to an existing domain and it did not resolve.

I have a feeling it may be a problem with my initial DNS zone set up. I'm not exactly sure what I am doing here. I worked through some forums for help. You can see my template in the first post.

I did notice that for each of my domain under DNS, I get the following notice up top:

"DNS zone for the domain parentdomain.com is a master DNS server"

So all of my domains are masters?

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?threadid=23627

You stated that you wanted the parked domain to use ns1/ns2.mynameserver.com, but your standard template (which would affect all new domains) does not reflect this.

I did not mention modifying the template since this would then affect all newly created domains, and you did not stipulate that you wanted *all* new domains to also point to ns1/ns2.mynameserver.com

So once you park the domain, you would then need to check (and modify if needed) the DNS entries for the parked domain.

And additionally, did you also check or change at the domain registrar, the nameservers for the parked domain, now that the nameservers will by your nameservers?

Back