• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Total mails in/out

R

redprive

Hi,

I would like to know how many mails arrives to my server everyday and how many mails are sent from my server.

Anybody could say me how can I know it?

Thank you very much

It's all in the logs ;)

Qmail is telling you everything you need.

Try these lines on your shell:
echo "Mails to local: "`cat /var/log/mail | egrep "starting delivery.*to local" | wc -l`
echo "Mails to remote: "`cat /var/log/mail | egrep "starting delivery.*to remote" | wc -l`

It can also be combined like this:
echo "Mails to local: "`cat /var/log/mail | egrep "starting delivery.*to local" | wc -l` \ &&
echo "Mails to remote: "`cat /var/log/mail | egrep "starting delivery.*to remote" | wc -l`

There might be a better solution as this is just a quick lookup. These are just searching for the strings "starting delivery to local" and "starting delivery to remote". The ".*" just stands for any text between.

wc -l is just counting the lines.

The disadvantage of this is that the whole log is counted 2 times, and the log is still appended by your mail-system.

But to see how much traffic you got - this might help.

Quick and dirty, isn't it? :)

One question more please.

How I can filter results by day?

Thank you very much

it can be done only with APM (Advanced Perl Magick =):

cat /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog | \
egrep "starting delivery.*to remote" | \
perl -F -a -lne '{$r{$F[0]}->[$F[1]]++}END{foreach$k(%r){@d=@{$r{$k}};for(my$i=1;$i<=$#d;$i++){printf "%.3s %2d %d\n", $k, $i, $d[$i]}}}'

Good luck.

Back