• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

trouble with "Web Users"

K

Keldek

hello, I've created a web user account through the plesk admin control panel. I used Web User setup because it allows ftp access which is what I'm looking for...

I now have the problem of not being able to access anything for the web user via my main admin account... when trying to view the Web User directory in PLESK I get the following error:

"Unable to change directory to /web_users/texasherald/: filemng failed: filemng: opendir failed: Permission denied"

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I should be able to access any directory I create for any user, client or affiliate being that I'm logged in as root correct?

When trying to access this folder via ftp I get the following error:

"CWD /web_users/texasherald/
550 /web_users/texasherald/: Permission denied"

When trying to change permission via PLESK for this web user account I get the following error:

"Unable to change permissions for file /web_users/texasherald: filemng failed: chmod: changing permissions of `/home/httpd/vhosts/isp-philippines.com/web_users/texasherald': Operation not permitted filemng: Error occured during /bin/chmod command."

If someone could please point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

To be as specific as possible, I'm trying to setup user accounts for clients and affiliates that will enable FTP access. I can't do it through the previous posts I've seen here in regards to manually setting up FTP account due to not having SSH access. Server type is Apache using PLESK 7.5.4 running on Fedora. I can gain FTP access by creating the web user but how can I gain access to each web user directory while logged in as root? (I log into the PLESK control panel using my main username/password.. same with FTP)

Once again any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi,
if you created the directories as root you have to change the owner/group as root to the plesk owner/group and rights appropriately. Otherwise plesk cannot work on those.
Look at some other directories and make the right look alike (owner=webuser etc.)

thanks for the reply. How would I go about doing that though? I'm now on day 3 of ever using PLESK and am only trying to accomplish a very simple task.. create user ftp accounts to point to a specific directory.. all of which can be accessed/modified/changed etc by root. This is for security reasons.. ie someone is uploading illegal files on their user account, I need to be able to remove those files as root, but I can't at this point even access them as root.

This was a 5 minute job in cpanel and at the moment I don't really have the choice except to use plesk.. I know this isn't your fault though :). Could someone explain how I'd go about changing the permissions as the above post recommends? I don't want to go toying with files and end up really screwing something up.

Thanks again in advance,

Chris

when you use the Plesk interface you are not working as root on the file system. Use ssh and login as root to access all files and give you full control.

I don't have ssh access as this is a shared ip hosting account (not sure if that matters). I'll check with my host who is also a friend of mine to see if he can give me ssh access...

If that's not an option, is there any other way to go about accomplishing this?

Thanks again,

Chris

Back