• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Tutorial for the DNS BIND server

mdraselkhan

New Pleskian
  1. Install the BIND DNS server component if not installed yet:
    Tools & Settings > Updates > Add and Remove Product Components > BIND DNS server > Install
  2. Connect to the server via SSH.
  3. Run a check against the testpoint:
    host -tTXT 2.0.0.127.multi.uribl.com
    If local DNS caching is not enabled the response is:
    2.0.0.127.multi.uribl.com descriptive text "127.0.0.1 -> Query Refused.
    See URIBL.COM - Realtime URI Blacklist for more information [Your DNS IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]"
  4. Run named-checkconf to check for syntax errors in the configuration files:
    named-checkconf
  5. Add the local nameserver to the /etc/resolv.conf file:
    vi /etc/resolv.conf
    Add to the top of the file:
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
  6. Restart BIND service (named-chroot for CentOS, bind9 is Ubuntu/Debian):
    service named-chroot restart
  7. Check that the service is running:
    service named-chroot status
  8. Wait a few minutes and then rerun the check against the endpoint:
    host -tTXT 2.0.0.127.multi.uribl.com
    This time the response should be:
    2.0.0.127.multi.uribl.com descriptive text "permanent testpoint"

This does not work for current linux distributions or for distris with resolvconf.service installed or for some other networking system.

I found a working solution which shall work in future if Ionos does not change crucial things. The suggestion of @learning_curve on Question - resolv.conf problems with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS I like better (well, I did not try it yet because my solution works at the moment, but in future I will use his/her suggestion, when I have to change similar things).

Advice before changing crucial networking things: Make a backup beforehand and make sure & test how you can make administrative things on server even if networking fails for accessing with ssh (backup not always needed if you know that a possible downtime is no problem).

Back