• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Unable to communicate on port 80 after latest update

FarazK

New Pleskian
Hi,

Everything was working fine till yesterday when Plesk update came in and all sites stopped responding, I tried to login to Plesk and it was fine but only websites were not working, I tried to restart httpd service and even tried to restart the whole server but websites did not work... upon further diagnoses it found out that only HTTP & HTTPS ports are not responding even when I try to telnet them from outside the server. So I looked into Apache log but there was no error there, also I tired to disable all kind of firewalls including iptables but no avail.

When I tried to wget localhost from within the server it says as follows

[root@classic-1 conf]# wget localhost
--2015-09-05 13:08:40-- http://localhost/
Resolving localhost... 127.0.0.1
Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:80... failed: Connection refused.

I thought may be Nginx which I think was being used as reverse proxy needs to restart but when I tried to dot that it said follows

service nginx restart
Not starting nginx as it is disabled in config

So, nothing worked at all and there was no error in Apache log... finally not sure how it came to my mind but I simply uninstalled the Nginx service and server started responding! and now I have disabled my automatic updates of Plesk as this really caused much issues.

Can anyone please highlight what issue could have been and do I need to install Nginx again?

Regards,
Farmi

Hi FarazK,

unfortunately, the standard initial Plesk configuration for nginx is a disabled state. To correct this, please use:

to enable NGINX:
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/nginxmng --enable

to reconfigure your domains and server configurations:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-all
If you experience any possible misconfiguration, when (re-)starting apache2 and nginx, please consider to add possible errors for further investigations and resolutions.

Hi,

I am sure that I did run both
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/nginxmng --enable

and

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-all

but it did not resolve my issue, what I had to do was to uninstall the Nginx and everything started to work.. are you aware of any issues which came up after yesterday Plesk update? and if I need to go for further investigation where do I need to look into?

Regards,
Farmi

Hi FarazK,

first of all, please bookmark:

Please consider to re-start any service with issues and carefully read the output and possible errors. Most of the time the errors directly point to the cause of any issue.

For apache2 and nginx for example, you could as well use a configtest yourself:

/etc/init.d/nginx configtest
/usr/sbin/apachectl -t

You have as well the choice to get a more decent output, when using Plesk CLI commands over the command line. Consider to adjust the settings for your log - level and/or define other usefull settings at "/usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini" for investigations ( you might only have the SAMPLE with your standard installation called "panel.ini.sample". Please copy it to "panel.ini" and afterwards set your desired options. Restart psa, to get the new settings to work - "service psa restart" ).

@FarazK could you please tell me your OS version and please attach here your /tmp/autoinstaller3.log file?
Thanks.

Also show me output of

# rpm -qa | grep nginx
# rpm -V `rpm -qa | grep nginx`

We have seem this on 5 servers now starting last weekend.

it is really misleading as it looks like there is a port issue. Which is not the case.

on 4 servers disabling and re-enabling nginx in service management was enough to fix the issue.

on the other we had to manually upgrade nginx and reboot the server.. then disabling and re-enable nginx

We have hundreds of plesk installations and so far only these 5 have shown this problem.

It has affected centos 6x and ubuntu 14.04

Looks like Odin have put up a knowledge base article about it now (http://kb.odin.com/en/126824) but not explained WHY it's happening. I assume it's tied to an update they've pushed but I've seen no confirmation.

Any comment what you've done that's caused this Odin?

Hi,

Just came back to thread and it's good to see that it was an issue with update and there is a resolve now at http://kb.odin.com/en/126824. I have 2 questions now

1. When I faced this issue on 5th Sep. 2015 I simply uninstalled the Nginx which worked for me(as explained in my very first post), I know Nginx is used as reverse proxy in Plesk but I don't see any issues with sites? everything appears to fine.... so should I reinstall Nginx or leave it uninstalled?

2. When this issue occurred I disabled the auto updates of Plesk(as it really put us down in front of customers), while Plesk says it is recommended as updates are tested. So what do you think should needs to be done as there is always a possibility of issue may occur again with anything.

Regards,
Farmi

Hi FarazK,

1. When I faced this issue on 5th Sep. 2015 I simply uninstalled the Nginx which worked for me(as explained in my very first post), I know Nginx is used as reverse proxy in Plesk but I don't see any issues with sites? everything appears to fine.... so should I reinstall Nginx or leave it uninstalled?

There was just some misconfiguration with this update, switching nginx back to an initial install state ( disabled ). There is nothing wrong to use nginx, if you keep in mind, that possible apache - rewrite rules ( mostly with .htaccess files ) have to be converted to nginx rewrite definitions ( you could use the free Plesk extension "htaccess to nginx" ), in order to serve content by nginx. Nginx ignores all .htaccess - files.

2. When this issue occurred I disabled the auto updates of Plesk(as it really put us down in front of customers), while Plesk says it is recommended as updates are tested. So what do you think should needs to be done as there is always a possibility of issue may occur again with anything.

you might like the idea to join this conversation: Is really a good idea to put auto update on for plesk 12.5 update?

... even if you use Plesk 12.0.18 or any other Plesk version.

Back