• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Unable to configure/update client or domain backups due to SMTP errors

R

RicardoGRTL

Hello all,

I'm using Plesk control panel for Linux/Unix 8.6.0 build 86081001.10 on Debian 4.0.

Here's the problem: I have domain backups set to deliver to a FTP repository; I need to
modify this and set the backup at the client level. Whenever I click on the Tools > Back
Up icon I get the error message "The SMTP server service is switched off." whether at the
client or domain levels. I reproduced the error and then checked the logs for mail
errors: nothing in /opt/psa/var/log/maillog, /var/log/daemon.log, .../messages, and
.../syslog. Since Plesk's reporting that the SMTP server serivce is off, I didn't restart
it via "Apply selected solutions" button. Since there is a cron job that runs every 15
minutes I figured that the mail would not be sent and I would see the subsequent errors
in the logs. But there were no errors; qmail did it's job and the cron-generated mail was
delivered. I can click the Back Up icon to cause the SMTP error to reoccur, then go
directly to Desktop > Services Management and see that the SMTP service is up!

Ricardo Davis

Back