• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Unable to move/copy files via File Manager

anastk

New Pleskian
TITLE:
Unable to move/copy files via File Manager
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 Update #44/Debian 8.11‬
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
I am running Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 Update #44 Web Admin Edition
On Debian 8.11‬

I have been suffering from this issue for a while now, whenever I need to update/rewrite files/directories on my server using the copy or move function from the file manager I get this error:
filemng failed: filemng: Error occurred during /bin/mv command.

I know this issue is related to this support article:
Unable to move/copy files via File Manager Plesk: Error occurred during /usr/bin/file command.

But it appears to still exist on the latest Plesk update.

Any idea if the solution provided works on Debian 8.11, any chance of solving this bug at all?​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Attempt to move/copy files or directories with Plesk File Manager...​
ACTUAL RESULT:
filemng failed: filemng: Error occurred during /bin/mv command.​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Copy/move files/directories to the destination and override the existing ones using the copy/move function in Plesk's File Manager...​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Help with sorting out

Reactions: Hex
Hi,
I guess this article is a bit different from your problem:
- it's about error with /usr/bin/file, while you're having trouble with /bin/mv.
- it was fixed in Plesk 17.8.11

I cannot reproduce the problem locally, so:
- Can you provide exact example of copying/moving files which fails?
- Can you check if /var/log/plesk/panel.log contains any additional info about the failure (e.g. stderr or/and command line arguments)

P.S. Maybe you need to enable debug logging in panel.ini to get more information.
# cat /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini
[log]
filter.priority = 7
show.util_exec = true
show.util_exec_io = true

Hi,
I guess this article is a bit different from your problem:
- it's about error with /usr/bin/file, while you're having trouble with /bin/mv.
- it was fixed in Plesk 17.8.11

I cannot reproduce the problem locally, so:
- Can you check if /var/log/plesk/panel.log contains any additional info about the failure (e.g. stderr or/and command line arguments)

P.S. Maybe you need to enable debug logging in panel.ini to get more information.

Thank you Alxndr.V

I am trying to move the directory ".temp/patch" to the directory ".temp/update" and replace all the existing files/folders in the target directory.

I am getting this error in the file manager:
Unable to move /.temp/updates/vendors: filemng failed: filemng: Error occurred during /bin/mv command.

I enabled the tickbox "Replace existing files" in the File Manager move modal window...

My panel.log file shows:

[2019-03-12 10:04:42.263] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/filemng' 'xxx.com' 'mv' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/patch/app' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/update/'] with exit code [1]
[2019-03-12 10:04:42.264] ERR [1] '/opt/psa/admin/bin/filemng' 'xxx.com' 'mv' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/patch/app' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/update' failed with code 1.

stdout:
mv: cannot move ‘/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/patch/app’ to ‘/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/update/app’: Directory not empty
filemng: Error occurred during /bin/mv command.

stderr:

[2019-03-12 10:04:42.916] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/filemng' 'xxx.com' 'mv' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/patch/vendors' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/update/'] with exit code [1]
[2019-03-12 10:04:42.916] ERR [1] '/opt/psa/admin/bin/filemng' 'xxx.com' 'mv' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/patch/vendors' '/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/update' failed with code 1.

stdout:
mv: cannot move ‘/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/patch/vendors’ to ‘/var/www/vhosts/xxx.com/.temp/update/vendors’: Directory not empty

stderr:

Thank you again

Hi Alxndr

This error appeared to me a while ago when I tried to move two nonempty folders from path A to path B with replace existing files option ticked.

There are no specific paths or directories, this is a general issue in File Manager.

1- Create two folders on location A with 2 PHP file each (Or use any existing ones you already have for testing).
2- Copy these two folders to location B.
3- MV these folders from A to B and tick replace existing files option

You'll get the error :
Code:
Unable to move /domain.com/TestFolder/F2: filemng failed: filemng: Error occurred during /bin/mv command.

Just to note:
Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #45
CentOS 7.5
Also tested on Cloudlinux 7.6

Thanks anastk for reporting.

Looks like this hasn't been fixed in Obsidian.

[2020-05-24 04:57:12.994] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/filemng' 'villa' 'mv' '/var/www/vhosts/villa.ga/httpdocs/tmo/upload/src' '/var/www/vhosts/villa.ga/httpdocs'] with exit code [1]
[2020-05-24 04:57:12.994] ERR [panel] '/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/filemng' 'villa' 'mv' '/var/www/vhosts/villa.ga/httpdocs/tmo/upload/src' '/var/www/vhosts/villa.ga/httpdocs' failed with code 1.

stdout:
mv: cannot move ‘/var/www/vhosts/villa.ga/httpdocs/tmo/upload/src’ to ‘/var/www/vhosts/villa.ga/httpdocs/src’: Directory not empty

Hi,

I don't know if you still facing this issue, but it may help :

I had the exact same issue, and resolve it. It was a right issue. One of the folders we wanted to switch was created with root perms from FTP. After changing rigths (chown, chgrp), the error disapear.

Back