• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Undelivered Mail Notifications

Christopher McBride

Basic Pleskian
I (the system admin) am currently recieving undelivered mail notifications from apache when outgoing mails generated by a website are not being delivered.

Specifically from a forum registration page which seems to pick up a few spam registrations per day.
The link to activate the account is sent to the registering address - but some do not exist, resulting in the bounce.

I would expect that the undelivered mail notification is sent back to the sender address of the email.

They are, however, being sent to apache@[domain].com.

Can anyone offer any advice to set it to send the messages to the sending address?

Thanks

Anyone able to help on this?

It's also happening for other domains - and I presume it's a global setting somewhere to send the bounce to the name of the process rather than returning to sender.

Same problem. Email bounces are not delivered to the sender but to apache@server
Any solution regarding this?

Studying the e-mails learned me that the Return-Path is not set correctly.

PHPMailer has a function to overwrite this
Using
$mail->From = $email;
$mail->Sender = $email;
$mail->AddCustomHeader('Return-Path: '.$email.'');

Should overwrite the return path but that doesnt work.

Another tried solution was to change the php.ini file

sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -f

but that stops mail from working completely.

Looks like sendmail overwrites the return path, which is very annoing since bounce messages are not delivered correctly. (they are send to apache@server.)
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Back