• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question underscore for NS-records

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
1612268779131.png
In the changelog of Plesk Obsidian 18.0.24 it says that Plesk from that moment on does not support DNS-records with an underscore character.
Luckily this is NOT true.

I have many CNAMES with an underscore, typically DKIM-records.

What STILL is not possible are NS-records with an underscore.
I need these to delegate the _acme-challenge.<domain> to the webserver instead of the DNS-server.

In the changelog it say that bind fails to start if a record is configured with an underscore.
Beside that an NS-record with an underscore is compliant with RFC's it's also not true that it causes Bind to crash.
I have many, many NS-records with _acme-challenge. in DNS.
I need to configure these outside of Plesk, which is a Pita!!!

Please make it possible to add NS-records with an underscore!!!!!
I need this.

RFC2181 section 11 clarifies DNS purposes of the domain name and makes no limitation on it except max length and label max length. However in shared hosting industry domain names mostly refer to Internet hostnames which is described in RFC1035 section 2.3.1.

On the other side, NS record specifies nameserver that regulates DNS zones which are not mandatory hostnames. So it should be possible to create NS RR for domain names with underscores.

Note NS RDATA (nameserver name) could not contain underscore because it designates nameserver hostname.

The good explanation could be found at Stack Overflow.

As far as I remember you have submitted already report here Forwarded to devs - Unable to create NS records with underscores

As far as I remember you have submitted already report here Forwarded to devs - Unable to create NS records with underscores
Yes, that's correct.

The problem is that fixing this has gone to the bottom of the queue because only few people need this. I think that shouldn't be the only parameter.

There's also
  • the impact of the "bug" (inability to use a seperate DNS-server when using wildcard certificates)
  • that it is made intentional where it shouldn't be made intentional.
  • it can be fixed in a predetermined time, which is short.

I was able to work around the inability to create these records by creating them directly in the named zone files using a 2-minute cronjob that keeps the zone-files in check.
Most that need it (wildcard certificates on Plesk servers without DNS) do not know that there is a solution for their problem.

Back