• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Unsure where this goes.

O

OffbeatAdam

I have attempted to contact [email protected], [email protected] and both produce postmaster issues.

This is kind of disheartening because i'd also assume you'd use your own software to administer servers, and you dont really have any real... open area to ask pre-sales questions, and your own emails dont seem to work, something maintained by the software ADMINISTERING your server. Curious...

Anyways, care to fix your email problems?

Heres the email I had, maybe I can get the answers here:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
X-Display-Name: Jennifer Thompson

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 06:15:32 -0600
Subject: Question before I buy Plesk
Hello SWSoft,

I have sent this email twice to [email protected] and both times it has been returned as a failure to deliver. Not... very supportive to my decision to purchase. Since this is the address that was included as the "final destination" and point of error, I will go directly to it, since you do not have a pre-sales question area either.

I have been using cPanel for quite a while now. It is however, inadequate in one respect: I need apache2. There are some apache2 modules that I require for use in development, and well, it has become increasingly painful to get this support in a cpanel/whm environment.

I have some questions though, before I make the move to plesk.

I understand that plesk is apache2, is this correct?

I also have a few.. requirements, when I am administering my server. For the most part, I am personally fully capable of doing everything that a server control panel can do, the main reason for it is ease of use and streamlining. I have a full time job that just makes it rather difficult for me to go through the entire process of setting up a new user, apache virtual host, directory, and so on and so forth... it obviously becomes a well, pain in the ***. So, keep this in mind when I ask these questions.

I need full PHP module configuration, down to the last configuration option on build. I have a lot of scripts that depend on certain aspects of PHP that are generally considered outside of the normal PHP module compile, and therefore would require basically a custom ./configure build. I also require constantly up to date PHP, which is currently in the PHP 5.2.1 tree. cPanel allows me to do this... does Plesk?

I need full apache module configuration. This is somethign that cpanel does NOT allow me to do through WHM. Does Plesk? This is important for a few, albeit limited reasons. I need SNMP support compiled in, which I would hope would be understood, I need mod_ruby, i need WebDAV (SVN and iCal support), as well as some other options.

I run a number of non-default configurations on my firewalls, specifically for SSH security, running a Teamspeak server, running an IRC server, and many other things that require custom port opening and closing. This cannot be done through cPanel directly, however there are a couple WHM addons that allow for fast administration of iptables. Again, this is something I can obviously do on my own, but its very long and arduous to deal with IPTables rules and chains... and it can be a pain in the *** to well, determine why they are not working. A software firewall monitor is also preferable, as this is what most iptables configuration entails as well. I prefer to know when ssh intrusion attempts are made, as well as when my (very specific) users are accessing SSH. I also enjoy process monitoring... for heavy and abnormal process usage. Can plesk provide this for me?

I have rather demanding applications that run both within PHP (and other languages) as well as from the console on the server. cPanel has a package administration system that integrates directly with yum, however it is inadequate because adding in custom repositories tends to flip out the cpanel system and creates a bunch of hassles. It also does not handle CPAN updating very well. These are both things that I look for increasingly, as I pay significant attention to security updates and such on libraries, and CPAN also requires updating frequently. Quite frequently I also require to search through a list of RPMs to see if something is available to install (or uninstall). This would be helpful, but is not required. Support for a package management system, and updating frequently, however, is something that would really change my decision on whether or not I would like to purchase plesk, or not.

The main complaint that I have with cPanel, is the fact that "new" things in the field tend to take a very long time to get out into the open. These things include apache2, php version updates, software updates (still using the oldest currently available version of awstats), and what seems to be horrible HORRIBLE support for even their own "addon" modules. Although the user base (and forums) are quite large and the ability to "Get something done" from those aspects can be rather easy, I would rather have something that works and accomplishes what I need, as well as provides me with the capability to use up to date software to properly allow me to do my development in a manner that I enjoy locally.

As you can see I have quite a bit of demanding administration tasks that are not normally covered in the basic hosting environment, as usually the ease of use and visual dependability is something that overlooks the deeper functionalities that higher end administrators would require, and usually in the environment you'd see cpanel/plesk deployed in, the average level of the administrator is low to medium.

Time is of a constraint for me, and I do not use my servers to host others in a business type environment. I use it to host myself and a few personal aquaintances, it is primarily for (heavy) development and my own personal script administration (one of which is rather large and tied into a very heavy user base). Because of this, I have my own demands and moderation of the server to think of. I do not really focus on the 24/7 support that a hosting provider would, as the people who are hosted on my server are all pretty much like me, and when they need assistance they generally only live minutes from me or have my personal cell #, or even work with me... so fixing their issues is just a conversation away.

The point of a control panel for me is to save time in the administration of my server and to help me in keeping my productivity up, as I have a non-paneled environment at home locally that I use for development that does not reach the public. A lot of the features in plesk look to help me in this situation, however the above requirements are something that would well, "seal the deal" as they say.

Your reply would be wonderful, and thank you for your time.

--

That's quite a list... You might want to break that up in smaller forum posts. We don't deal with SWsoft directly, so I don't know how responsive they are.

Some reactions:

1) Plesk uses whatever version of apache comes with the distribution you're running. For most modern distro's this is apache 2 these days.

2) I don't know how nice Plesk plays with PHP that you build yourself. You might want to package it yourself so Plesk 'knows' it is installed. (At least on rpm-based distro's it is looking for an installed php rpm.) Plesk does not come with PHP, it uses whatever version your distro has in its repositories.

2) Ruby on Rails is part of Plesk since 8.1.0, and uses mod_fcgid

3) You can install mod_dav_svn yourself. Not through Plesk though.

4) Plesk does not have a very powerful firewall module. It has one, but it only allows opening or closing ports and optionally restricting access to certain IPs.

5) Plesk does not integrate with yum. You have to run yum yourself to keep your system up to date. It does have an updater, but that only updates the components distributed as part of Plesk.

Hello,

Sorry I have not ready your entire post, but saw the reason for your email to sales being returned. Jennifer is no longer with the company. She has a new replacement as of Jan and it seems that the email for that fowared may not have been changed.

Back