• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue unusual vhost directories

iHuman

Basic Pleskian
Hi! I have two domains that were added in the last couple months - and both have unusual vhost directories. In addition to the standard directories (ie httpdocs, logs) - they have server level directories (dev, etc, var, usr, tmp) and symlinks to bin, lib, lib64, sbin). Is this something new...or has my server been compromised?

I figured out what what causing this...if you use Plesk WordPress toolkit to clone a site...it adds all of the chroot directories and symlinks. Plesk - are you aware of this?

What is your setting in the drop down "Access to the server over SSH" on the Icon "Web Hosting Access"? If you have selected anything but "Forbidden", most likely that is the reason why these directories are being created.

It's set to Forbidden.

Logically speaking, if it weren't the initial domain (not cloned) with have those directories visible as well. They only exist in the cloned version.

My work around was to
  • tar the Wordpress directory
  • dump the dB
  • delete the domain
  • add the domain back in Plesk
  • upload the tar files to the directory
  • untar the Wordpress directory
  • upload the database

Definitely not the easiest work around - but this has taught me not to use the 'clone' feature in the future ;-)

might you tell us how you did it in a bit more detail, like on domain or subscription level or as admin directly at Plesk panel at the wordpress extension?

I, too, have never experienced the same issuel. I'd guess that in the subscription template the chrooted SSH environment is selected. So whenever a new Subdomain or domain is created, the system re-creates the "missing" shell directories. @iHuman might have his main domain set to "Forbidden", but when he uses the clone function and creates a new domain or subdomain from that, the setting will be restored from the subscription template.

I finally found a solution to this so I thought I'd post it in case others have a similar experience. The Crontab shell was set to /bin/bash (chrooted) in ools & Settings > Scheduled Tasks > Settings.

Shoutout to Plesk support for coming up with the solution!

I too had today the same issue,
Any solution ? without deleting and re-creating the domain ?

*What I've done lately. I simply reverted Hot link security measure in wordpress toolkit

@iHuman

I finally found a solution to this so I thought I'd post it in case others have a similar experience. The Crontab shell was set to /bin/bash (chrooted) in ools & Settings > Scheduled Tasks > Settings.

Shoutout to Plesk support for coming up with the solution!

If I changed it to the one not chrooted "/bin/bash" , all the strange folders will disappear ?

Last edited:
Back