• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Update fails: Can not bind a socket to address on port 715

AdrianC

Basic Pleskian
When I try to update plesk by web interface, it says there is a new version available, if I click to update product I get this:

// asuming my host is s3.mysite.net and my dedicated public ip is 123.123.123.123
Code:
Trying to resolve hostname 's3.mysite.net' and validate its IP address...
Can not bind a socket to address s3.mysite.net:715 - Cannot assign requested address
Please, check your network configuration

Running dig `hostname -f` +short shows my server IP address (e.g 123.123.123.123)

Inside /etc/resolv.conf I have
Code:
# Generated by NetworkManager
search mysite.net // <<< shows main domain here, is that OK ?!
nameserver {ISP nameserver ip}
nameserver {ISP nameserver ip}

Inside /etc/hosts I have
Code:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1     localhost.localdomain localhost localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

123.123.123.123  s3.mysite.net s3

Edit: contents of /etc/sysconfig/network
Code:
# Created by anaconda
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=s3.mysite.net

- I noticed that in resolv.conf it says "search ... main domain", that domain (e.g mysite.net) and that domain doesn't work by itself, I just created hosts at my domain registrar s3.mysite.net , is that an issue ? Does it try to get any data from mysite.net at all ?
- When I installed the server the hostname was initially s3.mysite.COM but I switched later and edited in all possible locations (plesk server settings > hostname, etc).

Last edited:
I already did the steps, as I mentioned the content of the files to be edited.
I edited the above post to include my contents of /etc/sysconfig/network (it contains the host name).
What else can I try ? The plesk update fails, I cannot continue without that host validation.

same issue here - trying to update from 17.8.11 to 18.0.21 on centos 7

/etc/hosts is properly defined, as is /etc/sysconfig/network
nslookup is showing the proper ip for the subdomain

Trying to save legacy variables... done
Trying to resolve hostname 'domain.com' and validate its IP address...
Can not bind a socket to address domain.com:715 - Cannot assign requested address

Same issue too when upgrading a centos 7 box from 17.8.11 to 18.0.21 ,
weirdly other boxes with same configuration upgraded flawlessly.
I had checked both /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network everything looks correct

- I noticed that in resolv.conf it says "search ... main domain", that domain (e.g mysite.net) and that domain doesn't work by itself, I just created hosts at my domain registrar s3.mysite.net , is that an issue ? Does it try to get any data from mysite.net at all ?

The "search" line is only there to tell the resolver what it should append to a short hostname that doesn't resolve by itself, so you can query `host s3` and it auto-expands to 's3.mysite.net'.

Last edited:
two I noted the content material of the files to be edited. I edited the above post to include my contents of /etc/sysconfig/network (it carries the host name). What else can I strive ?

Hello!

I believe you need to update your hosts file so it points the hostname to the private, internal IP address. You say your public/external ip is
123.123.123.123, but what is the internal address? I think the hosts file should look like :

<<private/internal IP>> s3.mysite.net

John

Back