• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Update MariaDB and PHP

CoyoteKG

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

we wan't to close our old server hosted by Hetzner, and we already ordered new one PX61-NVMe with Plesk Onyx Web Host edition.

I see that image from Hetzner have MariaDB
Code:
# mysql -V
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.52-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1
and
Code:
]# php -v
PHP 5.4.16 (cli) (built: Nov  6 2016 00:29:02)
Copyright (c) 1997-2013 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2013 Zend Technologies
    with the ionCube PHP Loader (enabled) + Intrusion Protection from ioncube24.com (unconfigured) v5.0.18, Copyright (c) 2002-2015, by ionCube Ltd.

Because this server will mostly be for Magento 1.9 and Magento 2, we need MariaDB equivalent like MySQL 5.6
For Magento 1.9 on Magento documentation I found this
Megento 1.9 requirements for DB is MySQL 5.6 (Oracle or Percona)
and for Magento 2 this
MariaDB and Percona are compatible with Magento because we support MySQL 5.6 APIs.

Also, version PHP for OS Vendor is too old, and I wan't to update it to at least 5.6

1. Can you please direct me how to update MariaDB and to what version, and also PHP. Need to know how to do that properly to avoid problems with Plesk.
2. What is your suggestion what to do with fresh new installed server to optimize it to work perfectly for our needs with Plesk.
- Two Magento 1.9 sites (less then 500 products)
- Two also small Magento 2.0 sites (Less then 100 products)
- abot 15 small WP sites.
- Mail server we don't need to host. Just for cron informations, form infos from sites, and thats all.

PX61 is a barebone system. You should install it through the Hetzner rescue option with a minimal setup of your preferred operating system. From there, install Plesk Onyx. Plesk will install all the good stuff that you need including a current MariaDB version, PHP 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1. When you run Magento from that system I don't se any need to update the OS PHP version, because you can equally well use the PHP versions provided by Plesk.

Hi,
from robot I ordered Centos 7.3 with pre-installed Plesk Onyx already licenced.
I did not do that from Rescue system.

I'm thinking about removing MariaDB and Installing Vanila MySQL. Is that good idea?

About PHP, on last server I had problems because Vendor PHP was 5.4, and many commands for installing Magento 2 was not work because that. I just don't want to experience that again.

Your suggestion is to forget this installation, start new one via Rescue, chose minimal CentOS without LAMP, and then start Plesk installation, and with that installation I can pick what I wan't to have installed?

Hu AusWeb,

yes, because that I started this theme.

What is easiest way to remove MariaDB and install MySQL 5.6?
Short points?

Sorry I'm not sure how to do that to a running system with DBs.

I think there are few Tables Types need to be changed when migrating from MariaDB to MySQL

Installed minimal, Debian, Plesk Onyx, but again MySQL is MariaDB. This time 10.0.29.
I hope so that will be OK with Magento

I'm thinking about removing MariaDB and Installing Vanila MySQL. Is that good idea?
Bad idea.

Btw.: Did you know, that Debian for example provides "aptitude" ? You might be surprised about this powerfull tool, by using the example command:

Code:
aptitude install mysql-server mysql-client
The powerfull aptitude resolver might point you to several other solutions, when you choose "N" ( No ) in case of dependencies issues. ;)

Back