• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Upgrade mysql 5.5 to mysql 5.6

stas styler

Basic Pleskian
Hello, im running plesk onyx 17.5 on a vps centos 7.
I want to tocreate a magento 2.1 platform but it needs mysql 5.6+.
My mysql server is the same server running plesk and its version is 5.5.
Is there a way to upgrade my mysql server to 5.6?
I only saw a tutorial of maria db or some sort of upgrade for centos 7, but i’m not familliar with it.
How do I upgrade? Will it defect any wordpress dbs running on the server because od f the upgrade?

Thank you

Is there any risk that the upgrade will change any mysql structure that will defect any of my clients db? Or wordpress websites?

In short and without lengthy disclaimers, there shouldn't be adverse affects to website databases when following the correct upgrade procedures (keep in mind that if you try hard enough or not at all, fringe cases can always be found) but be sure to follow the KB's steps and above all, ensure to pay attention to the "upgrade MySQL databases" step for each OS.

PS: Take a full backup of all databases and for the fun of it, a snapshot of the system just in case the upgrade process fails or behaves in an uncontrolled manner.

Back