• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved upgrade MySQL from 5.5 to 5.6 (Ubuntu 14.04)?

ASTOKES

Basic Pleskian
Hi
I see that Plesk 12 supports MySQL 5.6, but the server I am running is Ububtu 14.04 LTS and comes with 5.5.
I need to make 5.6 available but I can see no way of doing it without breaking Plesk (I already tried just installing it from command line with apt-get install and had to restore the whole server from backup!) - there is no option for MYSQL in Plesks updates & upgrades menu ...

Is it possible?

Hi - I did indeed read that guide (and others) - when I got to
sudo apt-get install mysql-server-5.6
it responded that I needed to install stuff on mysql-server-core-5.6 first, so I did
sudo apt-get install mysql-server-core-5.6
...and during this it merrily uninstalled most of the plesk psa packages (as well as the psa database!) and dumped me back at the command line with a completely non functioning server...

I shan't be doing that again in a hurry!

... and it seems to me that plesk 12 is shipped with mysql 5.5 (or at least thats what is there as the mysql database server option)...

Don't get your reply UFHHO1...
apt-get upgrade defaults to 5.5 for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS so it just says it is at the latest version...

...and I quote:
"Plesk 12.0 for Linux supports MySQL and PostgreSQL database servers. Plesk uses MySQL and PostgreSQL packages from the repository of your operating system. The exception is MySQL 5.5, which is packaged with Plesk and supported on a limited number of operating systems."

Again: NO! Plesk is not shipped with a MySQL - server. It depends on your operating system and it's repositories, which MySQL is being installed by you. Plesk has only several additional packages which need to be installed if you would like to use Plesk. The official MySQL version on Ubuntu 14.04 is version 5.5 as you might read in the release notes of Ubuntu 14.04.

Your data at "/var/lib/mysql" will not be deleted, while you upgrade to an other MySQL version - you just have to configure the "new" MySQL - server with the additional Plesk - packages, as if you do a fresh install.

Sorry mate, I'm just confused now... do you know if there is any resource online that gives a step-by-step guide to upgrading from mysql 5.5 to 5.6 on Plesk 12/Ubuntu 14.04? I don't want to have the server go down again...
Thanks

...from http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/Doc/en-US/online/plesk-administrator-guide/
"
Plesk 12.0 for Linux supports MySQL and PostgreSQL database servers. Plesk uses MySQL and PostgreSQL packages from the repository of your operating system. The exception is MySQL 5.5, which is packaged with Plesk and supported on a limited number of operating systems.

MySQL is installed during Plesk installation.
"
What are they talking about?
Anyway I don't care - i just want to get it working!
:)

Hey thanks UHHH01 - that looks like it worked a treat! I followed the "Upgrading MySQL with the MySQL APT Repository" instructions... Once I understood I had to change repositories then perform a normal apt-get install mysql-server (which then acted as an upgrade instead of a fresh install), all became clear to me! I made sure I had a system snapshot though just in case :).

On my other server I get an interesting problem when I try to do the same thing - when trying to:
# dpkg -i mysql-apt-config mysql-apt-config_0.3.2-1ubunt.....deb
...it just hangs indefinitely...
go figure!

Hi ASTOKES,

without any error - logs, it is really hard to guess, what might be causing your issue - there might be unfinished tasks running, which should be stopped/killed before you upgrade... but there really could be other possible issues as well. Try to stop MySQL, before you update/upgrade, to avoid issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay - great advice - I just stopped mysql and tried again and it worked! Thanks a bundle for your help.
I am now in the process of fixing all the broken legacy code that the upgrades kindly detected for me - as if I didn't have anything more important to do!
Happy days ;-)

Again: NO! Plesk is not shipped with a MySQL - server. It depends on your operating system and it's repositories, which MySQL is being installed by you. Plesk has only several additional packages which need to be installed if you would like to use Plesk. The official MySQL version on Ubuntu 14.04 is version 5.5 as you might read in the release notes of Ubuntu 14.04.

Your data at "/var/lib/mysql" will not be deleted, while you upgrade to an other MySQL version - you just have to configure the "new" MySQL - server with the additional Plesk - packages, as if you do a fresh install.

Same for CENOS6.6??

How to do the bolded?

Hey thanks UHHH01 - that looks like it worked a treat! I followed the "Upgrading MySQL with the MySQL APT Repository" instructions... Once I understood I had to change repositories then perform a normal apt-get install mysql-server (which then acted as an upgrade instead of a fresh install), all became clear to me! I made sure I had a system snapshot though just in case :).

On my other server I get an interesting problem when I try to do the same thing - when trying to:
# dpkg -i mysql-apt-config mysql-apt-config_0.3.2-1ubunt.....deb
...it just hangs indefinitely...
go figure!

Dear can you please give me step by step guide? :) thanks

Back