• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Upgrade process questions

M_N

Basic Pleskian
Hi

I have received several reminders to upgrade my plesk (currently 12.0.18 on windows) to the latest version.

I have several questions about the upgrade process and I have searched all of your upgrade documents but I cannot find answers to these questions.

I am very reluctant to start the upgrade without answers to some key questions.

How long does the upgrade take? (I understand that it depends on my specific installation, but I need some ballpark figures based on how many sites/domains, perhaps the upgrade interface can give an estimate by looking at my data).

2. Are web/mail services available during the upgrade?

3. If the upgrade gets stuck in middle am I stuck without web services until the problem is fixed? or can it be rolled back?

4. Does it require a server reboot?

5. I currently have a license thru 1and1, how do I know if I have a license for the new version? Or does the license carry over automatically? (I spoke to 1and1 but I have little confidence that the support rep had any idea what he was talking about).

Thank you

Last edited:
Are web/mail services available during the upgrade?
Some operation interruption is possible during services restart process.
If the upgrade gets stuck in middle am I stuck without web services until the problem is fixed? or can it be rolled back?
No, rollback is not possible, you need to fix upgrade problem and continue upgrade process.
Does it require a server reboot?
No.
I currently have a license thru 1and1, how do I know if I have a license for the new version? Or does the license carry over automatically? (I spoke to 1and1 but I have little confidence that the support rep had any idea what he was talking about).
Actually, your license should work after upgrade. But if you meet any troubles with license you can always ask assistance here Licensing and Purchase support - Plesk

Also you can buy Professional Service for your upgrade here Professional Services - Plesk migration, setup and configuration

Thank you for your detailed response.

Another question regarding email accounts: I am currently using MailEnable and I have many email accounts that were created in mailenable before starting up with plesk and therefore plesk does not know about these email accounts.

So my question is: does this update also update or do anything to mailenable? if yes will plesk only migrate email addresses that exist in the plesk database? or will mailenable retain whatever address list it currently has?

(I spoke to 1and1 but I have little confidence that the support rep had any idea what he was talking about
That's absolutely normal at 1und1. The average support staff member there has one brain cell more than a chicken ... otherwise he would **** on the ground. I had dozends of contacts to their support and only one time there was a person who did know from what he is talking about. The others only know the (often wrong or outdated) information what is inside their internal helpdesk software.

Back