• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade Survival Guide???

LordLiverpool

Basic Pleskian
Hi Plesk

I have had a VPS for almost 12 months now

It's running Plesk 10.4.4 Update #54, last updated at Aug 18, 2013 03:31 AM

Should I upgrade?

I am frightened I will lose all my websites, email addresses etc etc

What's the best way to back up my server?
Should I get another server and migrate?

You read such horror stories on the web, I was wondering are their detailed instructions that would help the inexperienced to get through this process unscathed?

Cheers

Most VPS providers offer a complete backup option that will backup the entire VPS and allow you to restore it as needed. This is one of the advantages of a VPS.

You could do a backup, try the upgrade, and if it goes wrong then restore the backup.

But unless there is a feature in a later version of Plesk that you absolutely need then I would not do so until you have more experience with Linux in general and Plesk in particular, as trouble-shooting in the event of a problem does need some experience and knowledge.

Please don't take this as me looking down my nose at you. I was a beginner too at some point in the past.

In fact I remember asking some Linux guru way back then why I couldn't edit a particular file and he snootily said "what do you expect? you aren't root", then refused didn't elaborate and never spoke to me again. He treated me like dirt and I felt bad. So I'd never deliberately do that to anyone, OK?

Hi Faris,

First of all I just wanted to say a big thank you for taking the time to reply to all my questions. I really appreciate your time. Thank you! :)

I apologise for being a complete Linux novice. I am a very good web developer and I have just begun working for myself. So I have never had to admin a server before. It was always conveniently someone else’s job.

I rent my VPS from 123-Reg.co.uk and up to now they haven't been the most helpful of providers. They either refer me to FAQs (dead ends) or say they are unable to provide support for what's happening "on" the VPS (unfair I think!) Anyway this is why I reluctantly posted on here. I say reluctantly because I understand just how busy people are and I don't wish to waste their time.

I am delighted that you have said that Plesk 10.4.4 is fine. I can't think of any features I am missing. So your reply puts this matter to rest for me. I will not bother upgrading my server as there will be no advantage in doing so. I guess I will eventually need to upgrade at some point when 10.4.4 stops being supported.

I realise this is a moot point, but I will venture my idea anyway. A DBA once told me years ago "it's one thing to back-up a database, it's totally another to restore a database" Which is why I suggested migration over backup - upgrade - restore, as the original server remains untouched and intact. I would be interested to know what you think.

I will reply to your other answers shortly.

Finally, once again, thank you very much :)

Back