• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

upgrading spamassassin

J

jpipitone

I've typed the following command at a fedora core 3 promt:

yum install spamassassin

Now what?? How can I tell if it was installed, and how would I be able to tell if it has been upgraded and is active? Do I have to make or build from here?

Where does yum download to?

What was the output of the 'yum install spamassassin' command?

To check if it is installed, you can do:

rpm -q spamassassin

If it is installed, it will show you the exact filename of the .rpm which was installed.
Example: spamassassin-3.0.3-1.rh90.art

Yum normally would download to /var/cache/yum/ (at least on RedHat type distros)

Here's the out put from yum install spamassassin:

[root@216-55-149-47 /]# yum install spamassassin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up Repos
base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates-released 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
base : ################################################## 2622/2622
updates-re: ################################################## 959/959
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

________

Also - yum.log is empty.

Ok, so spamassassin is installed, and when you ran the "yum install" command, there was nothing for it to do since SA was already installed.

May I ask what the contents of your yum.conf is?

If you want to upgrade/update a package which is already installed on the server, then you would do:

yum update spamassassin

More info on yum's commands: "man yum" or "info yum"

OK here's what happened when I ran that command. What's your hourly rate? I just want to get this up and running and I want a web interface to control system wide spam settings, I dont' want my users to be able to control their own settings, so I found an application called WebUserPrefs. It doesn't seem to work however, because it can't find my user_prefs filel, and I have no idea where that sits and if its user level or system level:

Let me know if you'd be interested in taking care of this for me, because I've spent so much time on it!!

[root@216-55-149-47 /]# yum update spamassassin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up Repos
http://ftp.ps.pl/pub/linux/fedora-core/3/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
base 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates-released 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
base : ################################################## 2622/2622
updates-re: ################################################## 959/959
Could not find update match for spamassassin
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

Here's my yum.conf. The funny thing is, spamassassin seems ot be running, but it's not catching any spam ! I can't enable it from my Plesk control panel as my license key disables administration of spamassassin.

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

Looks like you don't have any repositories listed at the bottom of the file, so yum has nowhere to go looking for files.

If your license does not have the SA in it, then no, you will NOT be able to manage any SA settings from the control panel. Plesk wants additional money to allow you to have a GUI interface instead of doing it via shell prompt.

If it is running in memory, then you may just need to make some manual changes to SA's config file (local.cf). To check if it's actually running:

ps -ax |grep 'spam'

I would recommend using ART's repositories, but that's just my preference (and many others). I think I already posted (in one of your threads) where to find his entries for yum.conf

It's definitely running - there's a few instances of spamd.

Here's my local.cf file:

required_hits 5
report_safe 0
rewrite_header subject *****SPAM*****
required_score 7

IS there a log file I Can look at to see if spamassassin is actually catching the spam and removing it? What happens to it once it comes in?

Wow, we had totally forgotten about WebUserPrefs. My boss found that ages ago and played with it and then got busy and forgot all about it. He found it on one of our old servers just now. Your post jogged his old feeble memory... :)

When you went through the 'config.php' file:

1. Did you setup an auth module? If so, then you can have it do per user settings, else it will be per domain settings.

2. The 'user_prefs' file for spamassassin is not automatically created by installing SA, probably why it can't find the file. Or else the $user_prefs variable path is not set properly (also depends on 1 above).

For spamassassin to be able to check a user's email, there needs to be a pipe command in the user's hidden .qmail file which is located at:

/var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com/username/.qmail

Example: (may not be exactly the same as yours)
#cat /var/qmail/mailnames/example.com/user1/.qmail
| /usr/bin/odeiavir
| true
| /usr/bin/spamc -f -U /tmp/spamd_full.sock | /usr/bin/maildir ./Maildir/

The first line sends the mail to the anti-virus scanner, then if it passes 'true', gets piped to the spamassassin module. SA then runs it's rules and gives the email a 'score'. If the score is higher than 5 (per your post), then the subject line is appended with "*****SPAM*****" and the email is then passed to the user's Maildir

Spamassassin itself by default only tags spam, does not delete it. If you install qmail-scanner (from ART), which will coordinate and control additional things like multiple anti-virus scanners, you can configure qmail-scanner to drop emails over a certain score, but only tag those below a given score.

Never found a separate log file for SA itself, but qmail-scanner has lots of logging going on, including offending IP addresses. We love that package.

Hope I got all the highlights, don't want to be too wordy.

Well thanks for all your help, all of this stuff is over my head!!!

I'll try my hardest to read and research a bit more.

I don't care so much to have the users be able to control their own spam settings, I just want my mailserver to catch the spam before it gets delivered.

Thanks for your help!

I don't think so - are you the guy in Orange county?

If not, send me an email to joe at digitonestudios dot com

Back