• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Using an external firewall to block Plesk ports

thinkjarvis

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.57
We use IONOS as our hosting provider and they offer an external firewall to protect the server.

We normally restrict the ports below to a range of IP addresses.

49152-65535
This covers - SSH, FTP and Plesk login attempts before they even hit the server.

Are there any possible negative affects of this. I am asking because we have had a dedicated server fail. Just trying to rule out problems.
Note we have 3 other servers with the same setup running with no issues.

I cannot see a recommendation for or against this other than the article below:

Hi!

Why you restrict the port 8445 (probably you mean 8447)?
What kind of server fail?

As an additional information, I would love to post a link to the page Open Access to Plesk Services on an Amazon Lightsail Instance. By default, on Lightsail almost all ports are filtered by "external firewall" and Plesk works well except features that depend on these ports. On the page you also can find what ports are required for what features.

It was related to updates but I have had no issues updating all of my servers apart from this one. I can see that 8447 is used for updates. I may try disabling the block on this port.

Taking a look at the default ports used by IONOS here. I am going to contact them about 8447. It comes set up by default but it isnt on their standard port list.

Back