• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Using Plesk (which config is best performance AND best security)

larryk

Regular Pleskian
I have seen a few threads and users (who like me).... want to know but are confused on the details. I'm slowly getting the facts in order and close to understandings all the variables... but not quite there?

My hope is this thread can help EVERYONE who wants speed and security for their Plesk websites....
which is reality is EVERYONE !! I mean, who does not want the most speed and the most secure website?

So please, Plesk (and anyone with facts) respond :)
AND YES... I already know... the answers "DEPEND" on your specific situations, needs, and your server/website goals.

So what we need to do is have this type of format:
IF _________ THEN __________

I'm taking an educated guess and would believe this follow is very important for MOST Plesk users:

To my knowledge, the BEST Performance config/settings for a Wordpress AND Most secure server/vhost is the following:

1) Performance:
- hardware - the best your can afford (I personally don't know any more than this, but sure there are details here)

- plesk config
FPM application served by nginx - fastest
FPM application served by apache - fast
Apache only - okay

- php and mysql (keep it updated and latest versions)

2) security
Atomicorp ASL - best
Plesk WAF - good
other - ?

NOTE: ASL provides no WAF if using FPM application served by nginx :(

as usual, keep software, etc updated.

anyway... i'm sure there are people who have details and know details.... AND if you are like me... you WANT details, but sometimes don't know what details you need to know or ask about :)

so again... please, Plesk (and anyone with facts) respond :)

question: is this a bug... the following situation:

IF you have "FPM application served by nginx" selected on the PHP version
AND on the Apache & nginx Settings page... you have Proxy Mode = NOT checked...

that is a problem, correct?
those 2 items can't exist together?

question: is this a bug... the following situation:

IF you have "FPM application served by nginx" selected on the PHP version
AND on the Apache & nginx Settings page... you have Proxy Mode = NOT checked...

that is a problem, correct?
those 2 items can't exist together?
"FPM application served by nginx" is just PHP handler type but disabled "Proxy mode" means that Nginx will not proxy requests to Apache. Where is hidden connection? I didn't catch your concern here. Could you please clarify?

Igorg, I had a vhost that was all nginx.... meaning FPM application served by nginx and unchecked the proxy mode.

then I needed to switch it to "FPM application served by apache"... the site was working (some not all), but odd things were happing?
like a php would work, but maybe not the index.php page or a redirect --- i wasn't sure ... just not everything was working correctly?

I then remembered the proxy checkbox... plus it says "no apache", but obviously, I selected the by apache option.
SO, i checked the proxy box and the Smart static files processing checkbox...
after I did that... everything started working again.

which to me...
Plesk should have some type of automated check... can't have one without the other?

which.... if there was a more defined/ if you use this, you need this type explanation... the OP ideas.

So, if I correctly understood your point, you are talking about prohibition to enable "FPM application served by apache" in case when you have disabled "Proxy mode", right?
This is because there is some kind of limitation of 'nginx only' feature. Complete disabling the Apache web server is not possible, even if every website on the server uses nginx only (disabled "Proxy mode"). This is because Apache continues to serve webmails.

Back