• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Using swap file on SSD server a bad idea?

Kingsley

Silver Pleskian
Hello;

I saw the below warning message on DO when i wanted to create a swap file for my 4GB server at vultr.

Although swap is generally recommended for systems utilizing traditional spinning hard drives, using swap with SSDs can cause issues with hardware degradation over time. Due to this consideration, we do not recommend enabling swap on DigitalOcean or any other provider that utilizes SSD storage. Doing so can impact the reliability of the underlying hardware for you and your neighbors.

If you need to improve the performance of your server, we recommend upgrading your Droplet. This will lead to better results in general and will decrease the likelihood of contributing to hardware issues that can affect your service.

What do you think? show i go ahead then reduce the swappiness?

Running a production server without swap space is almost never preferable, because uptime is important and you don't want to risk OOM errors. However it becomes less important when RAM is abundant.

Furthermore, wear and tear of underlying hardware is the problem of the infrastructure provider, not the client.

Running a production server without swap space is almost never preferable, because uptime is important and you don't want to risk OOM errors. However it becomes less important when RAM is abundant.

Furthermore, wear and tear of underlying hardware is the problem of the infrastructure provider, not the client.

Thanks then... adding 4GB swap already :)

Back