• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Contribution Using the Apache Alias directive with PHP-FPM served by Apache

Andrew Penry

New Pleskian
I read a lot of random help pages trying to find how to do this, and I thought I'd share my findings here so maybe future people won't have to search as hard.

So you have some PHP code that needs to be shared across multiple domains. Maybe you're doing some SAAS, or have some shared libraries, or whatever. You want to share the directory using Alias in your Apache configuration, and you need the PHP to execute.

Real-world use case: this is how the SimpleSAMLphp documentation tells you to set it up.

Because you are using PHP-FPM instead of mod_php you can't just use "php_admin_flag engine on" like you may have in the past.

Instead, you need to set the php handler in the <Directory> portion of the config. On your destination domain, if you want to be able to go to http://myexample.com/saml/index.php and have index.php run instead of just downloading as plain text, set it up like so:

Code:
Alias /saml /usr/local/simplesamlphp/www
<Directory  /usr/local/simplesamlphp/www>
    <IfModule mod_proxy_fcgi.c>
        <Files ~ (\.php$)>
            SetHandler proxy:unix:///var/www/vhosts/system/myexample.com/php-fpm.sock|fcgi://127.0.0.1:9000
        </Files>
    </IfModule>
    Options -Includes -ExecCGI
</Directory>

This will tell apache to forward whatever.php to the PHP-FPM handler for the myexample.com domain. Which means it will execute as the correct user.

Next, add /usr/local/simplesamlphp/ to your PHP open_basedir setting.

If you see "AH01071: Got error 'Primary script unknown\n'" in the logs, this is a permission error. You need to set the executable bit on your shared folder and all parent folders. Using the example paths above:

Code:
chmod +x /usr/local/simplesamlphp/www
chmod +x /usr/local/simplesamlphp

Then make sure that the files are owned by the psacln group and set to be readable and executable by that group.
Something like
Code:
chown -R root:psacln /usr/local/simplesamlphp
chmod -R 751 /usr/local/simplesamlphp

Alternatively, you could just set them as readable and executable by everyone.
Code:
chown -R root:root /usr/local/simplesamlphp
chmod -R 755 /usr/local/simplesamlphp

Important Note: If you just want to be able to include php files using include(), you don't need to do the alias stuff. You just need to use open_basedir and check the permissions.

Thanks so much for your contribution. Your explanation helped me alot in a similar problem. And I can bring two things more:

By default the vhost names, handler called by PHP-FPM service are treated as lowercase (I had problem with one that has capital letters in its name).

If the vhost needs to manage sessions and share them with the vhost referenced in the Alias, it will have troubles with permissions in the session file when try to read or write. I'm still trying to resolve this.

Back