• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

VERP or tagging outgoing messages

G

Gorgon@

Hi folks,

First a little history. If message is sent to AOL and an AOL subcriber complains that it is spam, AOL will add the sending server's IP to a potential blacklist. If enough complaints are generated about a particular sender IP, the IP will be moved to the actual blacklist. As you can imagine this is pretty bad for most ISPs.

An ISP can join a program with AOL whereby they forward complaints coming from one of your IP addresses to you. However, for privacy reasons they don't tell you the AOL subscriber who complained. So even if you want to remove them from, say from a mailing list, you don't know who to remove!

Now for list software like Mailman, you can turn on 'personalization' which will send a unique message to each member of the list. This adds load to the server, but you can customize the footer to display the subscriber's email address. So if they complain via AOL, you know who to remove.

But I think it would be better to have qmail do something to every outgoing message. Either use VERP or just add an X-Header to each message which lists the recipients of the message.

I am no qmail expert (I wish Exim was an option) so can anyone give any suggestions on how to do this and not break plesk? Or at least point to some references on qmail on this topic?

Thanks,
mikeS

We're having the same problem. Any info on how to see who's sending what would be greatly appreciated.

Back