• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

virtual server cannot find index.html file in webspaces

cyberbaffled

New Pleskian
I have the Plesk panel installed for a 1and1.com hosting virtual server account. I have several domains in the default space that exists before any "webspaces" are created. In that "default" space I have several domains with associated index.html file. When I link to any of those domains using their url(s) using my browser I access the index.html files. I have also created several "webspaces", each with their own domain(s). Those domains also have associated index.html files. However, when I link to any of those domain's url I get the Parallels default boiler-plate. I've done everything within the capability of my server account to solve the problem but nothing works. A kluge solution might be to change the "user" of the webspaces to that of the default space in which everything works fine. However to do that I would need the Plesk "subscriptions" menu item, but that isn't included in 1and1's configuration of my particular virtual server account. Does anyone know how to solve this problem (a) using the resources of my Plesk panel or (b) using SSH? Solution "a" would be greatly preferred since I have little experience with SSH, although I do have PuTTY software.

Just a thought, because you didn't include any log-files to point out the issue with some decent informations, but you could have configured the domains using nginx and the system-user nginx might have missing group permissions in the group "psacln". If this is the case, you can easily add the system-user "nginx" to the group "psacln" with the command ( and YES, you have to use putty for that! ):

Ubuntu 12:
Code:
usermod -a -G psacln nginx

If this didn't help, you have to include some logs ( apache, php5-fpm, nginx ) for your issue, because there are an awfull lot of reasons, why a webserver replies with a 404 - answer ( file not found ) to a request.

Kilo Poster, thanks for your prompt and thoughtful reply.

The phrase "Parallels default boiler-plate" does not refer to any 403, 404 error. It refers to the Parallels page which begins "Welcome to Parallels." That said, I use Apache, not nginx. Following is the error message which appears framed in pink in my Plesk panel:

"Error: Unable to find the file /var/www/vhosts/entelechy-publishing.com/entelechy-publishing.com/error_log at the specified location: filemng: Unable to recieve real path for '/var/www/vhosts/entelechy-publishing.com/entelechy-publishing.com/error_log' System error 2: No such file or directory

Also, here are the most recent error-log and access log entries:

error log

[Fri Sep 12 14:16:14 2014] [error] [client 180.76.6.54] File does not exist: /var/www/vhosts/entelechy-publishing.com/entelechy-publishing.com/robots.txt

access log

207.46.13.46 - - [12/Sep/2014:04:08:38 -0500] "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.1" 301 554 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; bingbot/2.0; +http://www.bing.com/bingbot.htm)"

There have been no error-docs since 8-25-14.

Somehow, I don't think these are the defects which cause the server's inability to find my index.html file.

Last edited:
SOLUTION: I added the error_log file where the server looked for it. It had not occurred to me that the automatic domain addition process would not add a critical file.

ANALOGOUS (ONGOING) PROBLEM: The Linux server can't find a subdomain of the aforementioned domain, and the addition of the error_log file does not solve the problem.

Back