• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question VPS Disk Speed Using dd

WebHostingAce

Silver Pleskian
Hi,

I know dd command is might not be the best way to test hard disk speed.

I have this SSD VPS, When I do a restart it shows over 400 MB/s for couple of hours.

After couple of hours its goes down to under 200 MB/s.

I contacted the support but they ain't giving any direct answer than everything working fine.

Anyone know why its showing over 400 MB/s for couple of hours and then goes under 200 MB/s?

dd command I use,

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

Thank you.

I would suggest you repeat you tests with Bonnie++ - disk and file system benchmarking tool for measuring I/O performance.
Just install it with

# yum install bonnie++

and then run with something like:

# bonnie++ -d /tmp -s 4G -n 0 -m TEST -f -b -u root

Most probably it will give you more relevant results.
Also note, that writing speeds tend to degrade on SSD because of wear-leveling by the SSD controller.

Back