• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Warning: Could not display the list of backups in the Dropbox Backup storage & other errors

Tantrumedia

New Pleskian
I have the following error on the Plesk Backup page:
"Warning: Could not display the list of backups in the Dropbox Backup storage: Unable to get dumps list: Transport error: Extension transport: ext://dropbox-backup/server:. Please check the storage settings."

In addition, for the past few days (out of the blue):
"The backup May 4, 2021 12:26 AM was not created. Download the log file View the log Close this message"

The log states:
"Error:
Unable to create the remote backup: Transport error: Extension transport: ext://dropbox-backup/server/:"

When I check in the Dropbox Apps Folder, it appears that I actually do have a backup for each and every day (over 200GB - which is about right ).
I've not tried downloading the backup as of yet, but given it's size... it seems like it's making it's way up to Dropbox.

Why the errors?

Thanks for any help!
Tim.

hello @Tantrumedia
could you please provide your version of dropbox backup extension (the latest available version is 4.1.2-46) ?
I'm right that you're using the latest Obsidian (18.0.35.1) ?
first of all we'd recommend to update your software to the latest available versions.

did you try to prepare manual backup and store it to the dropbox? I mean will the problem occur in this case ?

INFO from the server:

Product : Plesk Obsidian
Version : 18.0.34 Update #2, last updated on April 1, 2021 07:05 AM

Dropbox Backup Version: 4.1.2-46

I do not prepare any backups manually, they are performed solely within the Backup Manager.

I'll update to the latest version of Obsidian, and see how I go... maybe there were some fixes made in 18.0.35.1

A side Q:
In the Extensions Library, there's the "Backup to Cloud Pro" option.
Would this be a wise investment? Or will I experience similar errors...

A side Q:
In the Extensions Library, there's the "Backup to Cloud Pro" option.
Would this be a wise investment? Or will I experience similar errors...
I'm afraid that this extension uses available the dropbox backup extension.
It manages different cloud storages (onedrive, googledrive, etc) and extend existing functionality,
but communications on protocol level works in the same way. So it won't solve your case.

I do not prepare any backups manually, they are performed solely within the Backup Manager.
could you please check will backup to the dropbox work for you without errors in case it was started manually?

we are still not able to reproduce the problem, but have similar request in technical support.
It is under investigation, but no results so far.

I am having the same issue with one of my Plesk servers.

Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.35 Update #1, last updated on May 7, 2021 10:48 AM
Dropbox Backup Version 4.1.2-46

Very slow when accessing the extension, and backups not showing as being uploaded to DropBox. However, when logging into DropBox they are there (although I haven't tested a download to make sure they are intact). The last backup that shows it was uploaded to DropBox was 6th May.

A second Plesk server is working perfectly without issue (daily backups)
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.34 Update #2, last updated on Mar 26, 2021 06:27 AM
Dropbox Backup Version 4.1.2-46

I have updated my server as advised - all the latest releases.

I have performed a smaller, manual backup for a single customer to Dropbox and it all worked perfectly, with zero errors.

The full server backup is still generating a massive file on Dropbox too, but the errors keep coming after it completes.
So it seems that manually ( at least on the smaller single customer backup I tried ) works 100% fine.
Very odd!

Just to add...
When accessing the backup option in Plesk, it can take literally minutes for the page to load - not sure if that's relevant?

I've attached the main page, and the log page from yesterday.

What happens if the backup from one evening hasn't completed before the next one kicks off?
Could that be an issue?

ATB,
Tim.

Attachments

• backup-manager.JPG
    backup-manager.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 4
  • backup-manager-2.JPG
    backup-manager-2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
hello @Tantrumedia ,
I'd suggest to check manual execution exactly for server backup.
the reason of failure can be with too large size or too much objects that should be processed.
Additionally I'd suggest to re-add dropbox cloud storage for server backup: make log-out first and then configure it again. Probably something goes wrong with authorization token.

As you said that list of backups loading too slow there also may be connectivity problems between very this Plesk server and dropbox infrastructure.
You can try to avoid them by adding options below to your panel.ini:
[ext-dropbox-backup]
MaxResumeAttempts = 20
PauseBetweenAttempts = 30

regarding your question
>What happens if the backup from one evening hasn't completed before the next one kicks off?
expected behavior is that next day task should not be started until previous finished.
And any way they should generate different file names and should not

Hi Nik,

Answers to your points.

Manual backup works 100% - zero errors. But this was on a smaller subset of data.

I've tried removing and re-adding Dropbox in the past, didn't seem to make any difference, but I can try again.

I've changed the [ext-dropbox-backup] values to those suggested, and even higher.
I'm downloading the 200GB+ backup from Dropbox to see if it's actually fully intact - I suspect it is, and there's just some kind of I/O issue with final confirmation. Maybe hash created at the start, times out or something?

As for a new backup starting before an old one finishes, Dropbox will indeed create a new version of the file with the same name ( the other will fall into the history ).

I do wonder if it's possible to do regular backups every 2 days in Plesk? I could only find daily and weekly.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Tim.

@Tantrumedia ,
>I do wonder if it's possible to do regular backups every 2 days in Plesk? I could only find daily and weekly.
unfortunately Plesk allows create automatic backup once per day/week/month. It mean that possibility to configure automatic backup twice per month or week is not implemented.

> Dropbox will indeed create a new version of the file with the same name
yes, you are correct, sorry for misleading you
different cloud storages work in a different way, and dropbox creates backup file with the same name each time (previous file will fall to the changes history)

well, just to check you can try to disable checksum calculation.
It may really spend lot of time on dropbox side, especially for a large files .
However it is not a solution.

@webbdev , @Tantrumedia ,
In general I'd recommend to submit request to the technical support.
For now it looks like the issue requires more deeper investigation with access to the server .

Back